Another Mirai Tree Sale in a few days

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some outstanding pots/ceramics on Mirai. Love the Horst Heinzlreiter and Johnathan Cross works. Tom Benda and Andrew Pearson too.

I take back my earlier grumble about trees, it's a good thing that Ryan is setting the bar, and with it prices in North America.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some new, free content. since I dont watch tv and spend a lot of time watching youtube, various podcasts, true crime, news channels, sport etc, i just see these feeds as soon as they are uploaded really.

The deadwood I created on this yew was done after watching a mirai stream a few years back, same technique as he's demonstrating here with hand tools.
The free video and learning experience will no doubt fly over most peoples heads.
37712824641_05d894732c_o.jpg23859724748_5a43251d6b_o.jpg

Last edited:

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I looked at some of the pots today. Mirai is like the Dupont registry of Bonsai. I’ll look but pretty much everything sold from there is way out of my tax bracket. Good for him, though, if people are willing to pay his prices, and apparently they are, then good for him. Get it while you can.

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I looked at some of the pots today. Mirai is like the Dupont registry of Bonsai. I’ll look but pretty much everything sold from there is way out of my tax bracket. Good for him, though, if people are willing to pay his prices, and apparently they are, then good for him. Get it while you can.
Dupontregistry is a very dangerous place to “window shop” 😂

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Nothing negative to say about Ryan as a person. As I’ve said before I think he’s an innovator and an asset to the community. The $100 tour is just BS though. Either have it open sans (prohibitive) fee with trees and education being your product or just don’t open it to the public at all. If he doesn’t want to deal with people then he doesn’t need to make himself available. That’s understandable if your product is the classes you teach and the information you pass on. That fee though, is more elitist than anything I’ve ever heard the man say. There may be someone (or many people) who simply can’t afford that or it may be a choice between going to see wonderful trees or buying a nice piece of starter material. Those people don’t deserve entrance to the garden? If it were me I would hope to inspire everyone, not just the guy with an extra hundred bucks. I’d love to get to see Mirai but I wouldn’t throw down that kind of money unless I were there for a class and since I most likely can’t afford that I will most likely never see the inside of Mirai. Kind of a bummer.

Ten bucks to see Elanden ($1 for kiddos). That I can get behind… and that place is damned beautiful.

Reaction score
Some new, free content. since I dont watch tv and spend a lot of time watching youtube, various podcasts, true crime, news channels, sport etc, i just see these feeds as soon as they are uploaded really.

The deadwood I created on this yew was done after watching a mirai stream a few years back, same technique as he's demonstrating here with hand tools.
The free video and learning experience will no doubt fly over most peoples heads.
View attachment 465172View attachment 465171

Thank you for the link . Am curious though - why did you say that it will go over most people’s heads ?

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Anytime Mirai comes up, Bnut turns into a Bunco gossip group. I mean the shit people are grousing about is wild.
This made me LOL… for real… and because it’s totally true 🤣

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you for the link . Am curious though - why did you say that it will go over most people’s heads ?
There's a lot of great free content out there, especially on YT. but I dont see much folk posting stuff, that helped them or could help others be better.
For the people who are mirai subscribers, ( long term)I rarely see anyone posting trees and saying mirai inspired me to try this or develop this in that way, or I did this because I wanted to emulate something I saw them do on mirai etc. or i saw this on mirai so was inspired to go out and spend this much on this etc, so this leads me to believe that a lot of stuff goes over peoples heads.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nothing negative to say about Ryan as a person. As I’ve said before I think he’s an innovator and an asset to the community. The $100 tour is just BS though. Either have it open sans (prohibitive) fee with trees and education being your product or just don’t open it to the public at all. If he doesn’t want to deal with people then he doesn’t need to make himself available. That’s understandable if your product is the classes you teach and the information you pass on. That fee though, is more elitist than anything I’ve ever heard the man say. There may be someone (or many people) who simply can’t afford that or it may be a choice between going to see wonderful trees or buying a nice piece of starter material. Those people don’t deserve entrance to the garden? If it were me I would hope to inspire everyone, not just the guy with an extra hundred bucks. I’d love to get to see Mirai but I wouldn’t throw down that kind of money unless I were there for a class and since I most likely can’t afford that I will most likely never see the inside of Mirai. Kind of a bummer.

Ten bucks to see Elanden ($1 for kiddos). That I can get behind… and that place is damned beautiful.

I have to respectfully disagree with this.

Your argument is essentially this: “If I can’t have it, then nobody can.”

There are hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bonsai trees at Mirai. Do you really expect him to just give the general public unfettered access to the garden? That is not feasible. It would only be a matter of time before something very valuable was either broken or stolen.

That means that he has to pay employees to give tours. People don’t work for free. Why should Ryan have to take a loss for providing access to Mirai?

The opportunity to view the trees at Mirai is a tremendous service to the bonsai community. Operating a garden like Mirai has to cost a fortune. It is totally fair to charge a fee in my humble opinion.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I have to respectfully disagree with this.

Your argument is essentially this: “If I can’t have it, then nobody can.”

There are hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bonsai trees at Mirai. Do you really expect him to just give the general public unfettered access to the garden? That is not feasible. It would only be a matter of time before something very valuable was either broken or stolen.

That means that he has to pay employees to give tours. People don’t work for free. Why should Ryan have to take a loss for providing access to Mirai?

The opportunity to view the trees at Mirai is a tremendous service to the bonsai community. Operating a garden like Mirai has to cost a fortune. It is totally fair to charge a fee in my humble opinion.
I respect and understand your difference of opinion. I would however suggest that your assumption of what my “argument essentially is” lacks nuance and is a little off target… but that just boils down to semantics which isn’t productive in the least. So I’ll just say, “I get what you’re saying”.

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There's a lot of great free content out there, especially on YT. but I dont see much folk posting stuff, that helped them or could help others be better.
For the people who are mirai subscribers, ( long term)I rarely see anyone posting trees and saying mirai inspired me to try this or develop this in that way, or I did this because I wanted to emulate something I saw them do on mirai etc. or i saw this on mirai so was inspired to go out and spend this much on this etc, so this leads me to believe that a lot of stuff goes over peoples heads.
I don’t believe the correlation you’re making is entirely accurate. There’s a whole list of reasons why members might not post on the forum (in relation to what you’re saying). Frankly, the amount of judgement going on in this thread alone is pretty high on that list of reasons.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don’t believe the correlation you’re making is entirely accurate. There’s a whole list of reasons why members might not post on the forum (in relation to what you’re saying). Frankly, the amount of judgement going on in this thread alone is pretty high on that list of reasons.
Its a bonsai tree forum after all. I would hope that if someone saw something cool that one could learn from, that they'd share it. If you've learnt something new and it would help or inspire others then youd be so enthused about it, that youd share it. here's to hoping hey

If you just spent $3000 on a top quality tree, i'd also hope youd want to show off that tree, I know I would. if youre a forum member, an active one,i'd love for you to show us that tree. many folk have really great trees, but never show them, fair enough maybe thats not their thing, but i think its a shame.

Top Bottom