Another monster bald cypress

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This one about whipped me. I had topped it off either last year or the year before and I kinda forgot about it. It was in 8-10" of water and my 20" pruning saw disappered under the murky water on most of the cuts. It took about 35 minutes to free it from the swamp floor. The top is interesting and I'll try to do some kind of storm-damaged apex. The nebari is even better than I remembered it.

unnamed (84).jpgunnamed (85).jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Love it. I like how the top already has some interest and isn’t just a chop. Should be fun.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Yea thats a stonker man! About how old would a bald cypress this size be?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yea thats a stonker man! About how old would a bald cypress this size be?

Considering that it was growing in deep shade, I'd hazard a guess that it's between 50 and 75 years old , may be older though. In a perfect, sunny location at my old place, a cypress went from about 14" to 36" diameter in 25 years. Location, location, location.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Seems like a vigorous tree. The top left branch was less than pinky size when I topped the tree. So that, I believe, is one year's growth.....about and inch in diameter.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! You're going to have to reduce that top considerably to fight off that developing inverse taper.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice! You're going to have to reduce that top considerably to fight off that developing inverse taper.

Rockm, I think this is the type of tree where the rules kind of go out the window. The tree is what it is. I've seen plenty of old, broken soldiers like this in the swamps and bayous. A hurricane comes along and breaks off the top 30 feet of a huge tree and what grows out is what it has. It will be a challenge to tell that story. Originally, the Chinese and the Japanese tried to convey the feeling of THEIR trees in THEIR part of the world in miniature form. That's what I'll try to do with trees in MY part of the world.

I don't think Kimura, Ryan Neil or Bjorn will ever stroll through my bonsai garden and give me grief over my design choices. If they did, I'd just tell them to do what they do and I'll do what I do.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rockm, I think this is the type of tree where the rules kind of go out the window. The tree is what it is. I've seen plenty of old, broken soldiers like this in the swamps and bayous. A hurricane comes along and breaks off the top 30 feet of a huge tree and what grows out is what it has. It will be a challenge to tell that story. Originally, the Chinese and the Japanese tried to convey the feeling of THEIR trees in THEIR part of the world in miniature form. That's what I'll try to do with trees in MY part of the world.

I don't think Kimura, Ryan Neil or Bjorn will ever stroll through my bonsai garden and give me grief over my design choices. If they did, I'd just tell them to do what they do and I'll do what I do.
The issue is that that inverse swelling at the apex will get significantly worse and worse and worse, since this species is so apically dominant. that knob is going to grow, and possibly quickly. Something to consider twenty years down the road. I ignored similar taper in my bigger BC and twenty years down the road, it stopped looking "natural" or "attractive" and instead looked only odd, drawing attention away from other features. I wish I had acted sooner to correct it. Just sayin....

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes, swelling at the apex will get worse IF, and only if, the tree is allowed to grow a large canopy. I plan on a minimal canopy and will place more emphasis on lower branches. I will do some carving to minimize the swelling thats already there. I figure a minimum of 5 years until it KINDA looks like what I envision. I found this pic of an old survivor. Not pretty, but if those branches could talk..............................

1580752269929.png

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Considering that it was growing in deep shade, I'd hazard a guess that it's between 50 and 75 years old , may be older though. In a perfect, sunny location at my old place, a cypress went from about 14" to 36" diameter in 25 years. Location, location, location.
Wow, I thought they were vigorous in the right circumstance, but that’s some going. I’ve ordered some seeds because stocks are lacking over here so I’m hoping I can get some going. Right where we are there are several areas of ‘swamp’ land which’ll be perfect for growing some of these on, or maybe leaving the odd one to turn into future giants. How long does it take before they start to form their buttresses generally?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Woocash, I'd say they can start getting buttresses at from 3 to 5 years old..........some , much longer. It appears to be a genetics thing as well as enviormental. I'd suggest against standard bonsai soil and just pot them in good potting soil in as big a container as you can stand. Keep them wet and soggy and well fed. Another words. almost the exact opposite of most bonsai

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Cheers man, that’s what I thought. Much like you treat Alder or Willow over here. I figured they’d be almost perfectly suited to my local area. Looking forward to your progress.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A little update on this tree. It was a little slow to start budding, but it really has come a long way. I pruned just a few redundant branches and some upper, really vigorous branches. I also jinned that smaller branch on the left and carved the big knob down a bit. As usual, most all the branches want to grow straight up. I just go once a day and GENTLY message them down to a more horizonal position. After a week or so, the branches keep their new position. I left the apex branch going straight up to help get a smooth taper in that region.

unnamed - 2020-05-11T104742.442.jpg

Top Bottom