Another mugo

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I just couldn't resist! Although it has grown in wire, I love the trunk and texure on this little pine!

20180216_121859.jpg

20180216_121917.jpg

20180216_121923.jpg

This transition might be a problem though... The new leader will probably have to go sooner or later. Also, the scars are much more visible on this side! You'll probably think I'm mad for buying this!
20180216_121931.jpg

20180216_121957.jpg

The foliage is pretty leggy, but luckily there are plenty of dormant buds on the (new) trunk! Shortening will be necessary in time. Maybe a small semi-cascade?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
'll probably think I'm mad for buying this!

Fuck No! That's wicked...

Or equally....

Fuck Yes! That's wicked!

Slow down! That's a nice piece!

I'd watch that wire .....
Watch it good for righteousness...

Maybe pull some out...
Leave some in....

Don't leave it to chance.
Utilize it!

Kill!

Swimning in the....
Swimming in the.....
Swimming in the .......

Fish

Tank!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's already inside the trunk! So I'd have to cut it in half to get it out. Which - by my calculations - would kill the tree!

Eh....maybe now....so sparse. .

But I cut a bit of Shari last year and learned I coulda went harder.

Maybe apply more wire too!

Whatever it takes to make it more than "wire in the trunk"....

That shit is gonna get old fast.

Sorce

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I don't see cascade at all in there. I see a pretty nice informal upright though.
It's a good looking tree.
I'd love yo have it.
20180216_121859 (2).jpg
I was thinking about changing the angle and bending that new trunkline down, so that the foliage would be at the level of the rim of the pot. But I think it would create a very loooong tree and distract the eye away from the trunk. Also, the grown-in wire created horrible reverse taper (what can you expect?) at the base. If I tilt the tree, the reverse taper would become more obvious! So yeah, informal upright is the way to go!

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Eh....maybe now....so sparse. .

But I cut a bit of Shari last year and learned I coulda went harder.

Maybe apply more wire too!

Whatever it takes to make it more than "wire in the trunk"....

That shit is gonna get old fast.

Sorce

Yeah, obvious twisty trunks aren't normally my cup of tea. Maybe some shari in the future and BAM! A decent trunk!

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Wire!
20180307_182236.jpg

Guy wire to bend the 'new' trunk toward the older trunk, thus compacting the tree/design
20180307_182253.jpg

I should buy a decent camera or take pictures outside, during the day...
20180307_224513.jpg

Couple of notes for future-me (and you, who are reading this):
- The bar branches in the middle are a problem.
- Lowest branch needs to be thicker
- First branch on the right needs to be longer (and thicker)
- Overall design needs to be smaller, more compact
- In the future, try to choose a definite trunk line, with good branching and apex. I've bend the leader down, but this is a temporary solution!
- Try to address the lack of branches above the twisty trunk. I used branches from the top to fill in the gaps. If I want to go all the way, grafting may be a solution
- Visual depth in the lower part of the design would be good.

Tips are - as usual - appreciated!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Awesome pines!
Is it weird that I immediately thought "this has to be in Belgium" from the last pic?

Good luck with the predators by the way! I have used them a lot, but outdoors they tend to migrate to the bottom of the pot and more humid places where there's a lot more food.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wicked! I love it. Don't you dare try to dig that wire out of the trunk. It'll be fine! The new wiring is a great improvement - such a nice little tree!

Somebody slap Sorce. He keeps making me laugh too much! ;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This little Mugo is the result of wire cutting into the trunk. With Mugos it is not always the disaster it can be with some Pines. I don't know for sure how much wire is left but embedded in the trunk but there is an old saying that states if you are given lemons make lemon aid.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Awesome pines!
Is it weird that I immediately thought "this has to be in Belgium" from the last pic?

Good luck with the predators by the way! I have used them a lot, but outdoors they tend to migrate to the bottom of the pot and more humid places where there's a lot more food.

Thanks. So far, I've it under control. I hope it stays that way when it gets warmer and dryer!
And I guess that house in the background does look very Belgian-like :D

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
This little Mugo is the result of wire cutting into the trunk. With Mugos it is not always the disaster it can be with some Pines. I don't know for sure how much wire is left but embedded in the trunk but there is an old saying that states if you are given lemons make lemon aid.

I think the whole piece of wire is already embedded inside the trunk by now. I'd like to create some shari in the future, just to hide the scars a bit more! (Then I can really start making lemon aid..)

Top Bottom