Another new Japanese Boxwood

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just picked this guy up here.....I think I like Boxwoods :). Over a 3 inch trunk 32 inches tall and some great Nebari or at least I think so. The only deal is that is seems to be very root bound as of right now and in some bad soil. Should I leave this guy alone for a few months then take him out of the pot and into some better soil?

Did a quick virt to give you guys an idea of where I was thinking of going with this tree.

Thanks for looking and any input is always appreciated.

Aaron

Attachments

• 0725021102_0001.jpg
    0725021102_0001.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 0725021101_0001.jpg
    0725021101_0001.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 83
  • Jboxwoodvirt.jpg
    Jboxwoodvirt.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 92

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great find! I love boxwood too and among my favorites.

I would probably cut it further down than your virt if this is mine (about another 1/3).

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree ! I don't think they like having their roots disturbed in mid-summer. You are better off waiting. At least this is how I have treated my boxwood bonsai. You could probably cut the rootball in half in the the fall.

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice find, I like were your going with this. Boxwoods are pretty forgiving, collected some a couple of months ago,removed alot of the old dirt trimed the roots(about a 1/3) put them in some growing pots with good soil placed them in the shade and just watered them. Now I have new growth everywhere, anyway good luck withyour tree. Pete

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
I would probably cut it further down than your virt if this is mine (about another 1/3).

Only reason I am wanting to leave it that tall is because there is a couple of forks right where I have the apex placed in the virt. Seeing as how I am pretty new to the game I don't really know how to deal with the giant cut. Going to be joining the club here in Santa Cruz so I am sure someone will give me a little better idea on the trunk chop. To be quite honest I would like it a little lower myself.

Thanks for the advice and kind words.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you would be happier eventually if you could get it down to about 18inches. Wait until you go to your first club meeting before doing anything. They can point you in the right direction.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
From what I've read on boxwoods, I agree with Dave in that you should probably hold off till late summer or early fall to work on the roots and repot. I've got a few boxwoods that are just sitting around eating up fertilizer waiting to be worked on once the dog days are over.

Great find and love the virt. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Have fun.

Top Bottom