Another new person topic... !

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello,

Yes its another new person post! Reading through the forums so far, theres quite a few of them.

I'll try keep this short, don't mean for you to read an essay.

I'm quite the beginner, but I read a lot and watch a lot of videos, to learn as much as I can. Now I've gotten to the point where I need to join a forum to really get more info about certain techniques that I start. Thats where you guys come in. Hopefully I can learn a lot from here, and maybe even one day help others too.
Im British, so unfortunately the weather is not on my side, as I hear plants like the sun... so thats difficult, but I'm sure its doable.
I have a Chinese Elm, the starter Bonsai and most common, from what I read. I'm not sure of its age, it was bought as present. I am looking to contact the seller and ask though, because I think its very important to know. However, if someone can take a good guess from the pictures, feel free.

I was going to ask your guys' opinion on my little tree and any advice, but I think maybe I might in a seperate post as I don't want this to be a massive post!

Heres a few pics, from when I first got it to today.

O8RiJia.jpg

NtJeVUK.jpg

HlKbbN7.jpg

6sgpISz.jpg

The repotted soil mix is: 1 part pumice, 1 part perlite and 2 parts compost.

(Oh God, the pics are big, I'm sorry!)

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Hello,

Yes its another new person post! Reading through the forums so far, theres quite a few of them.

I'll try keep this short, don't mean for you to read an essay.

I'm quite the beginner, but I read a lot and watch a lot of videos, to learn as much as I can. Now I've gotten to the point where I need to join a forum to really get more info about certain techniques that I start. Thats where you guys come in. Hopefully I can learn a lot from here, and maybe even one day help others too.
Im British, so unfortunately the weather is not on my side, as I hear plants like the sun... so thats difficult, but I'm sure its doable.
I have a Chinese Elm, the starter Bonsai and most common, from what I read. I'm not sure of its age, it was bought as present. I am looking to contact the seller and ask though, because I think its very important to know. However, if someone can take a good guess from the pictures, feel free.

I was going to ask your guys' opinion on my little tree and any advice, but I think maybe I might in a seperate post as I don't want this to be a massive post!

Heres a few pics, from when I first got it to today.

O8RiJia.jpg

NtJeVUK.jpg

HlKbbN7.jpg

6sgpISz.jpg

(Oh God, the pics are big, I'm sorry!)

Well imgur seems to be blocked from where I am so I can't see your pics. That said, welcome to the Nut House and your new life!

Reaction score
I see you repotted in a more draining mix. That's good, but it could be more draining for your (our) climate (not so far apart). Look up some proper mixes for next spring, it will do for now. Keep moderately moist. Tree is 5 to 7 years old max, is looking healthy. Style is a matter of taste... Step one, learn how to let it grow. Step 2, repeat step 1. Step 3 make a plan how you want it to look in a few years. Oh, and keep outside, avoid frost, feed a bit now and then. Don't forget, it is a tree.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well imgur seems to be blocked from where I am so I can't see your pics. That said, welcome to the Nut House and your new life!

Sorry about that, it seems to be working for "Dirk Hoorelbeke" so you might be right, could just be blocked for you, sorry about that. Thank you :)

I see you repotted in a more draining mix. That's good, but it could be more draining for your (our) climate (not so far apart). Look up some proper mixes for next spring, it will do for now. Keep moderately moist. Tree is 5 to 7 years old max, is looking healthy. Style is a matter of taste... Step one, learn how to let it grow. Step 2, repeat step 1. Step 3 make a plan how you want it to look in a few years.

Yes, I thought the soil it was bought in would probably be of poor quality and it seemed extremely condensed and compacted, so wanted to get it repotted. The mix I used was 1 part pumice, 1 part perlite and 2 parts compost. That was after seeking some advice on it. Do you think that's not so good? I do have to water it quite frequently, about every 4-5 days, depending on if the weather is nice and it gets a lot of sun. If it gets the sun, it could be watered more (I make sure to dig down a bit to see if the soil underneath is dry, not just the top soil dry).
Do you think this mix is not so good?
The wiring I did was completely recently, and first time so Im just trying it out, as I have to try it out to learn :). I don't know the style but wanted the different branch levels flat so it has pads at different heights.. Im sure its a common style but I dont know its name.
Thanks for your reply and the steps.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am at work and we have a rather strict filter... So it's not unexpected.

I'm an IT Technician and, among other things, we manage URL filtering for 70 primary schools. I completely understand, no worries :).

Reaction score
Adjust potting medium to your ability to water. The more draining it is, the better. Lots of topics on soil medium here, but in our wet climate ... Most mixes are made so you can water once a day in summer so it is just damp in the evening. It will do for now, elms are not that difficult. Style is a matter of taste, but i hope that when you look at trees in nature and bonsai, you will end with other options in mind. Enjoy the journey and the learning curve.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Adjust potting medium to your ability to water. The more draining it is, the better. Lots of topics on soil medium here, but in our wet climate ... Most mixes are made so you can water once a day in summer so it is just damp in the evening. It will do for now, elms are not that difficult. Style is a matter of taste, but i hope that when you look at trees in nature and bonsai, you will end with other options in mind. Enjoy the journey and the learning curve.

Ok thank you, thats good advice. Ill look up some of those topics, hopefully there are chinese elm ones, im sure there are.
I did like that the mix had compost because, after reading, I think its important to have that feeding material, however of course the more compost, the less drainage. Then the other materials for drainage, the less feeding, so its a balancing act that I have to learn more about.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I do have to water it quite frequently, about every 4-5 days,
Dream come true!!!! Lol
Here in the desert I'm watering up to two times a day… And it's not even summer yet.
Welcome!!!!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dream come true!!!! Lol
Here in the desert I'm watering up to two times a day… And it's not even summer yet.
Welcome!!!!
Lol, wow. Thats frequent... Thats a part time job.
I'm starting to think that the next bonsai I get, Ill look for one which loves water and colder weather more than anything else. Perfectly suited for London, England.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think you're off to a great start with the Elm… They're tough little trees !

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you're off to a great start with the Elm… They're tough little trees !

Thank you. Im told they are the best all round beginner starter tree, so I guess they are tough otherwise not so great for beginners. I don't plan on letting it die... in my life time, so wish me luck.
So far "Dirk" has said he believes around 5-7 years old, have you any idea how old you think it might be? Trying to get a good average number as I wasn't given its age when bought (was a gift).

Auk

Seedling
Reaction score
A good average number would be: 6 years old.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Trying to get a good average number as I wasn't given its age when bought
Dirk's guess could be good.
You can cut that sucker growing in the corner of the pot.
Did you buy it wired? Wire doesn't seem to be doing much in terms of shaping the tree.
Id just let that baby grow out this season.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Looks like you're keeping it outdoors, smart choice ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Beard!

Big pics are good!

Bonsai blinds you faster than training the Dragon.

Age means nothing compared to the look of age.

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm. Looked like tree was inside. If so needs to be out for sure. When repotting can use approved for locale commercial mix or just reduce amount of compost to not over 25%. Good idea to join local Bonsai club for personal support and advise. Pretty good looking tree to start with:D. Welcome to Bonsai.
P.S. Not a bad wiring job for beginner. However be aware wire at base of second branch might become grown into curve of trunk at branch base. Also should never cross wires if can be avoided.

Last edited:

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A good average number would be: 6 years old.
Dirk's guess could be good.
You can cut that sucker growing in the corner of the pot.
Did you buy it wired? Wire doesn't seem to be doing much in terms of shaping the tree.
Id just let that baby grow out this season.

Ok great thank you. Yeh I did wonder about the little guy in the corner, I'll get rid. It was my wiring, first time and wanted to try but of course make sure not to damage the tree. It's only straightening out some branches so they are more level, but you are right it's not doing anything major at all.

Looks like you're keeping it outdoors, smart choice ;)
Hmmm. Looked like tree was inside. If so needs to be out for sure. When repotting can use approved for locale commercial mix or just reduce amount of compost to not over 25%. Good idea to join local Bonsai club for personal support and advise. Pretty good looking tree to start with:D. Welcome to Bonsai.
P.S. Not a bad wiring job for beginner. However be aware wire at base of second branch might become grown into curve of trunk at branch base. Also should never cross wires if can be avoided.

Thanks to you both. The outside or inside debate is a big important one for me. Due to the changing temperature and weather of the U.K. I wasn't sure. So what sort of temperature do you think it shouldn't be out in? I usually put it out when the temperature is anything but cold, cold being 5-10 degrees (Celsius, British, sorry!), what sort of climate would you recommend it is NOT out in?
I knew my wiring job was far from perfect lol, thanks. First time, it found it quite difficult.. Especially the thicker gauge, tough to bend, as the tree is small and quite tiny features to bend round and bet in between. I see the wire curve you mentioned, as its in the curve of the trunk. Thanks for that, I'll try make that adjustment, it's not had the wire on for long so should be OK to adjust. Once I see the wire get tight and think it's good, I'll remove and let it grow for the season, as suggested.

Nice Beard!

Big pics are good!

Bonsai blinds you faster than training the Dragon.

Age means nothing compared to the look of age.

Sorce

Thank you. I was wondering if you'd reply, you seem to be the local celebrity, based on reading other topics :). Appreciated.

If anyone can answer the temperature or weather question, I'd be grateful. I do keep it inside a lot of times, I think I'm too worried about it outside! My fault.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Chinese elm comes from a wide range, from subtropical Taiwan and coastal mainland China, all the way into the interior and mountainous areas. Warm humid summers are the norm, and cold dry winters. Right now it is spring, as long as your night time lows are above freezing you will be okay. Any temperature above 4 C at night won't even stress the tree. Likely it could go outside now.

I imagine yours is of seed of coastal origin, capable of surviving in subtropical regions. But they do have the genetics to get through most winters over most of the UK. Cold hardiness is not instantaneous, it needs to be ''built up'' toward the end of the growing season.

If grown outdoors, the weeks before the first frost the elm will change its physiology, begin withdrawing nutrients and chlorophyll from the leaves. (cause of autumn leaf color). Night time temps in autumn below 8 C will signal to the tree its time to get ready for winter. At least 4 weeks of above 0 C, but below 8 C at night are needed to ''harden off'' your elm. Once acclimated lower temperatures and the leaves drop, temperatures to -10C should be no problem. Especially if sited where it can freeze and stay frozen all winter. A spot in the shade, on the ground or pot buried in the ground works well. Winter sun on the branches can cause branch die back. Shade in winter is helpful.

Soil expands when frozen, which can break a pot, many whith trees in expensive pots choose to winter their trees between 0C and 4 C. This is cold enough to meet dormancy reuirements for most species, not only elms. If you have an unheated porch, sunroom, garage, or other area where it stays just above freezing, this is a good spot to winter your trees in general. If they drop their leaves a deciduous tree won't need light in winter. Making many structures good locations for wintering trees.

Now your Chinese elm is likely to be from a more sub-tropical climate. It will adapt to the cold as described, but you could also grow it warmer if you had a cool greenhouse where temps run above freezing. Letting it chill down in autumn outside, then keep it cool to cold (less tha 10 C but above 0C) for 8 to 12 weeks, will likely meet its dormancy requirements. Then it will begin to grow. When growing they need full sun to get tight growth with short internodes. If youdon't have a sunny greenhouse, or south facing windows you won't get enough light over winter to keep it happy. You will end up pruning off the weak and leggy winter growth in spring anyway. So even though you could probably keep it growing indoors over winter, your tree's design won't benefit much from doing so. My recommendation would be to let it go dormant in autumn, and keep it cold enough to stay dormant all winter, then just putting it out in spring.

Top Bottom