Another newbie in good company

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello community,
I am new to bonsai as well.
I was inspired by the Bonsai society display at the Boise flower and garden show last spring. I started that day by purchasing a juniper in a one gallon pot that has a lovely trunk, but needed some TLC. I cut off the few dying branches and some roots that didnt look so good and put it back in it's pot to wait for some trunk girth, so far so good, it has responded well and looks healthier.
Now I find myself with bonsai babies that I recently recieved from Mr. Walston and am wanting to put them in the best soil conditions.
Do deciduous trees have different optimum soil requirements than evergreens?
Is the area of the country I live in going to affect the soil best for my trees?
Is there a place on this site where people share their soil recipes?
Right now it is 104* outside so I have my little trees inside still in their tiny pots, but I know I need to get them in something more roomy very soon.
Advice at this point would be much appreciated.

Glad to be here,

Laura

Reaction score
USDA Zone
First, welcome to the forum Laura.

Depending on the species of trees, you will most likely want to wait to do any re-potting, so you have plenty of time to read up on soil. Your best source for information on your climate and the soil mix that works best in it is your local bonsai club. There you can obtain information from people that live near you and who have experience with your particular climate.

You may also want to check out the website of the person you bought the trees from, Brent Walston is a very experienced grower and he has many articles on soil.

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Will,
I have been reading Brents articles and found them very helpful, I just cant find anything on specific proportions.
Contacting my local is a good idea, I should have thought of that!
Thank you
Laura

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
Laura

I use the same soil for everything in the nursery, including my finished bonsai. I get good growth from conifers and deciduous plants alike. It is a very simple soil mix, basically half perlite and half fir bark. More can be found in the soils article http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/soils.htm

This soil would be perfectly fine for a starter mix for you. As you get more experience, you will probably want to tweak it or change it according to what is available there and for your particular climate and practices.

Will
I recommend that all my plants (unless there are special instructions) be repotted immediately upon receiving them. This is not thorough repotting, but rather a 'slip potting', where there are simply shifted to a larger size pot without disturbing the roots. It gives the roots a bit more room to grow for the rest of the season and makes watering less critical. That way, you can put off root pruning until an appropriate time.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com
see our blog at http://BonsaiNurseryman.typepad.com

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recommend that all my plants (unless there are special instructions) be repotted immediately upon receiving them. This is not thorough repotting, but rather a 'slip potting', where there are simply shifted to a larger size pot without disturbing the roots. It gives the roots a bit more room to grow for the rest of the season and makes watering less critical. That way, you can put off root pruning until an appropriate time.

Slip potting is a safe and basically fool proof method, thanks for clarifying that.

Will

Top Bottom