Another nice one from Don!

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't know how Don manages to come by so many nice tree's nor can I fathom how he brings himself to part with them lol! But, I sure am glad to have access:) Here's my latest from Don and first tree for 2017. I posted 1 pic yesterday already in another thread but here it is now after I did some wiring on it....

Last one of 2016 next to the first one of 2017:)

Some more Maples that I got from Don last year! It's been warming up out here so yesterday I decided to start putting them all back outside......

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Jabba's got back up! Great that you benefit from a great supplier like Don, he does seem to have an endless supply! Enjoy all these great trees as they are waking up.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice sets of maples. Reminds me of the days of action figures. Collect them all! Well, these days with the younger ones it's,"Got to catch 'em all!"

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't know how Don manages to come by so many nice tree's nor can I fathom how he brings himself to part with them lol! But, I sure am glad to have access:) Here's my latest from Don and first tree for 2017. I posted 1 pic yesterday already in another thread but here it is now after I did some wiring on it....

Last one of 2016 next to the first one of 2017:)

Some more Maples that I got from Don last year! It's been warming up out here so yesterday I decided to start putting them all back outside......

IMO the new one is way better than the "one last one from 2016"!

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
IMO the new one is way better than the "one last one from 2016"!

I'm honored to own them both! The new one is definitely exceptional and the last one from last year is very interesting:) Both have great bark, great girth, and nice old age. I think I'm going to put last years one in a slightly larger pot this year though and I'm definitely putting this new one in some BonsaiJack soil.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Joe, that tree appears to be potted towards the rear of the pot. Not good.

When viewed from the side, the center of the tree should be on the center line of the pot.

There may some old books that say it should be placed towards the back, but it's not the current way. It's healthier for the root system to have it centered front to back.

Next:

I don't like how you ran wire over the nebari. Done that way, you will scar the nebari. Always try to find a way to secure the tie wires around the roots, under the surface to prevent scars. And, no, padding with tubing isn't acceptable either.

MarkyScott posted in one of his threads how he builds a "cage" around the roots. If it has three or more holes, you can do this. How many holes does your pot have?

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Joe, that tree appears to be potted towards the rear of the pot. Not good.

When viewed from the side, the center of the tree should be on the center line of the pot.

There may some old books that say it should be placed towards the back, but it's not the current way. It's healthier for the root system to have it centered front to back.

Next:

I don't like how you ran wire over the nebari. Done that way, you will scar the nebari. Always try to find a way to secure the tie wires around the roots, under the surface to prevent scars. And, no, padding with tubing isn't acceptable either.

MarkyScott posted in one of his threads how he builds a "cage" around the roots. If it has three or more holes, you can do this. How many holes does your pot have?

This pot has several holes, a generous amount.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This pot has several holes, a generous amount.
How many? And in what configuration?

It's not about draining the water out, it's about how to wire the tree in the pot!

If there are 4 holes, you can make a cage around the roots so that no wires are seen above the soil. And it's very secure!

The technique for wiring trees in pots is dependent upon the number of holes there are in the pot. Pots with two holes are wired differently than 4 holed pots. One holers are the most difficult.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
How many? And in what configuration?

It's not about draining the water out, it's about how to wire the tree in the pot!

If there are 4 holes, you can make a cage around the roots so that no wires are seen above the soil. And it's very secure!

The technique for wiring trees in pots is dependent upon the number of holes there are in the pot. Pots with two holes are wired differently than 4 holed pots. One holers are the most difficult.

Well, I found a different way to wire it in the pot! The wire isn't 100% concealed but it's no longer on the main part of the nebari....

It's pretty centered now....

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Well, I found a different way to wire it in the pot! The wire isn't 100% concealed but it's no longer on the main part of the nebari....
Here is what I do:
1 and 2 is one wire, 3 and 4 is the second wire. I make a "pigtail" (wire 5) and set it over wire end 1.
IMG_8340.JPG

With the tree properly settled in the pot, I pull wire 1 from the back left to the front left and twist it down at the front left, leaving wire 2 long. It is important to pull up first, then take up the slack by twisting the wires. This is 2 separate moves, or you will stretch and break the wire.

Then, pull wire 2 across the front and twist it to wire 3 at the front right, leaving wire 3 long.
Pull wire 3 to the back right and twist it to wire 4, leaving wire 4 long.
Finally, pull wire 4 to the pigtail wire 5 and twist them tight at the back center .
Cut all ends short, below grade.
The next time you repot, cut the wires under the pot, and find the frame; cut one loose, and the whole assembly comes out neatly.
IMG_8339.JPG

Top Bottom