Another nice one from Don!

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is what I do:
1 and 2 is one wire, 3 and 4 is the second wire. I make a "pigtail" (wire 5) and set it over wire end 1.
View attachment 131722

With the tree properly settled in the pot, I pull wire 1 from the back left to the front left and twist it down at the front left, leaving wire 2 long. It is important to pull up first, then take up the slack by twisting the wires. This is 2 separate moves, or you will stretch and break the wire.

Then, pull wire 2 across the front and twist it to wire 3 at the front right, leaving wire 3 long.
Pull wire 3 to the back right and twist it to wire 4, leaving wire 4 long.
Finally, pull wire 4 to the pigtail wire 5 and twist them tight at the back center .
Cut all ends short, below grade.
The next time you repot, cut the wires under the pot, and find the frame; cut one loose, and the whole assembly comes out neatly.
View attachment 131723

Thanks for the tips!

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Gotta love BonsaiJack soil:)

View attachment 131691
I guess thats what one would call politically correct soil
Its probably a good mix but i dont really like the multicoloured look, they always remind me of lego. (Nothing against lego).
if it was me i would deffinatly put something akadama or so on top to make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Its probably a good mix but i dont really like the multicoloured look, they always remind me of lego. (Nothing against lego).
if it was me i would deffinatly put something akadama or so on top to make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

Akadama turns to mush out here but I do want to work on a way to put moss on top.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Akadama turns to mush out here but I do want to work on a way to put moss on top.
Well, it's a maple, you will repot it every year, so no worries about ska Dana turning to mush!

BVF's method is exactly what I, and MarkyScott do. With the exception of the pigtail. I do use one, but I put it on last. I usually have a piece of wire I cut off as I wire the corners down to use as a pigtail. I make a hook in it to grab the first wire, twist, then use the other end as Brian described.

Joe, your second attempt looks much better!

When pitting in round pots, the tree should be centered. If this was an oval, center front to back, and set the tree slightly off center left to right.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's what to used for a top dressing:

New Zealand Spaghnum moss (if you can find it) or "Orchid Moss". Shredded.

Here's how to shred it up:

Using a bonsai soil sifting kit, insert the coarse screen. Take a couple handfuls of the Orchid moss, dry, and rub it across the screen. Somewhat like using a cheese grater. Be sure not the breathe the dust.

Now take the dry shreds, and sprinkle a covering of the shredded moss over the topsoil of the pot. Water in.

The moss will let water in, and will help keep the soil from drying out too fast. Don't put it on too thick, it will hold too much water!

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe that maple by far is superior to your others maples in the pictures,nice buy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
how long will it take for the gray flaking bark to return over the orange patch?
The orange color changes to gray color. It isn't gray bark that grows over the orange bark. Think of it like skin. Exterior layer of skin peels exposing fresh, pink skin that changes color as time passes.
The question of "how soon" is answered mainly by sun exposure and rate of growth.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
The orange color changes to gray color. It isn't gray bark that grows over the orange bark. Think of it like skin. Exterior layer of skin peels exposing fresh, pink skin that changes color as time passes.
The question of "how soon" is answered mainly by sun exposure and rate of growth.

Our sun out here bleaches everything white rather quickly:) But, my Maples are shaded very well during the hottest times of the year so hopefully I'll be able to enjoy the orange for a little while.

Top Bottom