Another Nursery Azalea Gets a Chop

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Thanks very much i will be sure to check, so far i haven't found to much stuff to work at, at my nurseries , all the junipers are the wrong kind, maples are really tall with skinny trunks, all the mugo's nabari is not nice.. im thinking yamadori is my best choice right now. seen a couple box woods may look into those a bit more. appreciate your help

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update:

I actually trimmed this one last week or so and just took pictures this week. Sorry, I didn't take any before pictures because it had really grown. Here is the results:

DSC01572-1.jpg

DSC01573-1.jpg

DSC01574-1.jpg

DSC01575-1.jpg

I know that looks like a lot of soil, the bottom 1/2 to 2/3's is just large lava, like the kind you get at Home Depot. It is used to take up space and aid drainage.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
UPDATE:

Since we have been having warmer weather, I decided to give this one a little trimming up and some wire. As you can see, this particular azalea loses almost all of its leaves in winter. I did not prune back too hard at this time as I did not want to make it start throwing out new growth, around March I will prune harder. Just basically removing crotch growth, "trident" forks, and upright growth.

Here it is before we start:

DSC02095-1.jpg

DSC02096-1.jpg

This is the type of growth I will be removing:

DSC02097-1.jpg

DSC02102-1.jpg DSC02102-1.jpg

Snip...DSC02098-1.jpg

Last edited:

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Here she is, thinned out:

DSC02099-1.jpg

DSC02100-1.jpg

DSC02101-1.jpg

And now for some wire. I have been working on my wiring, trying to make it look neater, while it is not show quality, I think it looks OK. Azaleas set fast and by spring I will be taking it off and all of the long branches will be cut way back.

DSC02103-1.jpg

DSC02103-2.jpg

DSC02104-1.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here she is, thinned out:

View attachment 128061

View attachment 128062

View attachment 128063

And now for some wire. I have been working on my wiring, trying to make it look neater, while it is not show quality, I think it looks OK. Azaleas set fast and by spring I will be taking it off and all of the long branches will be cut way back.

View attachment 128064

View attachment 128065

View attachment 128066
Looking good- the tree and the wiring.
Try to get a little more dramatic turns on the first bend if you can.. that is the ones you are likely to keep, and you can't bend these suckers good once they harden off a bit more. Gotta be careful as they will snap but I think you could bend a little harder if you tried!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice trunk, wish our weather was as nice as yours appears. Great shopping along with your good work!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Looking good- the tree and the wiring.
Try to get a little more dramatic turns on the first bend if you can.. that is the ones you are likely to keep, and you can't bend these suckers good once they harden off a bit more. Gotta be careful as they will snap but I think you could bend a little harder if you tried!

I usually try to put a little more movement in them but this particular one is really brittle. I snapped two during the process.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I usually try to put a little more movement in them but this particular one is really brittle. I snapped two during the process.

Only two! Hell that's good with most any for me! Thanks for the update - looking good! Might be a chance I can see that in person in April - PM me with a good time range to call and number ;)

Grimmy

mrt1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Update please. ;)

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Cool little tree. I haven't been able to find one with a decent trunk yet. But I'm still looking.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
John, you're wiring the wrong part! As you've noted, lignified azalea is really brittle. It really doesn't "bend", it breaks.

What you should be wiring are those soft green shoots with the new leaves! Wire those and remove wire in 6 weeks or so. Cut back, let it grow out again. Then wire again. You could do this 3 or 4 times a year in your climate.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
John, you're wiring the wrong part! As you've noted, lignified azalea is really brittle. It really doesn't "bend", it breaks.

What you should be wiring are those soft green shoots with the new leaves! Wire those and remove wire in 6 weeks or so. Cut back, let it grow out again. Then wire again. You could do this 3 or 4 times a year in your climate.
No he didn't if you read a few post above the last one. Those new ones are just brand new which am sure he will wire once they extend but not lignified.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
You can reduce snapping by using two wires next to each other and making the coils closer together. It really makes a difference.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No he didn't if you read a few post above the last one. Those new ones are just brand new which am sure he will wire once they extend but not lignified.
Well, he posted on January 5th that he had just wired it. There were no new shoots then! Those were lignified branches. Very brittle.

His latest picture shows some wire on lignified branches. I can't tell if that was wire from the January 5 application that's still on, or if it has been freshly applied.

What I DO see are fresh green shoots, none of which have been wired. Some of these new shoots have already been shortened.

The technique I recommend is to NOT shorten the new shoots yet, but instead wire them into place. If there are any downward leaves on the stem after wiring, pull those off. Put in movement close to the base of each wired branch, up and down, side to side.

That wire should stay on about 6 weeks, maybe less, until it begins to cut in. THEN remove wire, and cut back.

@Shima, are saying to lay two wires next to each other? Or wire "double helix" style? Double helix is two wires running up the branch, parallel, but not touching each other. That method CAN help reduce breaking as there's more places where the wire can be on the outside of the curve, supporting the branch. The angle the wires are placed are still the 45 degree angle. You want to avoid wrapping wire in a tight spiral, like a spring. Wire has little holding strength when coiled like a spring.

MarkyScott showed some "double helix" wiring on one of his threads on maples. Sorry, I don't remember which one. It is a valid way of wiring, especially for varieties with brittle branches. It does not look as "pretty" as two wires placed side by side, and sometimes it can look as if the branch is overwired. But it's safer.

Top Bottom