Another of my ficus chops

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
About 2 years ago I picked up a ficus that had the dreaded S-curve trunk from a local shop for a good price and chopped it down quite a ways. 2 years ago it was just a trunk and no branches and now the past couple years it's been growing some new branching and I've been starting to try to get it into a bit of a future cascade style (somewhat). I know it will never have the perfect cascade style but for what was a tall S curve tree it's at least going somewhat in the right direction.

This is where it is today....

misc%20005_zpsdudcmyzw.jpg

What I have been trying to do is somewhat like this here... I've already started the main leader for the cascade and got that pulled down in the right direction over the past year. Should I go ahead and trim the top where I have it marked to get it to back bad and fill in more now as well as push more energy to the main branch or wait? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

trim_zpsko9v9lqr.jpg

Pic of the back side ...

misc%20008_zpsh6mawjop.jpg

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Advice is welcome, wont hurt my feelings......Buller...Buller..... ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the cascade is taking away all the cool squished movement you get from the back picture...

This could be a case of...
"The back is the front"!

It seems to have decent branching to start building a canopy from where it's at.

I am just happy to see mine..I mean, my daughter's, doing so good now, finally, after about 6 years!
So I don't know about reducing the leaves much...

But I would think about cutting all the branches back to the first branch, or go so me bud of there are any, and get some division and options going.

Unless of course it needs more size to become...."real".

I really like the look from the back.

Sorce

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really??....I always thought that back was just fugly lol...So what am I missing. Like I said I don't see what I should most times, So ditch the "cascade: branch I have been working on and work on the back? What sort of style would I be going after then?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20160810_193641.jpg

Oops wrong pic!

aviary-image-1470881371551.jpeg

I think that fugliness is gonna look Badass when it grows out!
My fugly....is never going away!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You gotta imagine the chicken feet as nice roots...
And the branching and canopy as a nice S.E. Asian style joint...
And you're there!

Sorce

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
OOOOOMG....that pic is gonna be a classic on this and every other bonsai site for years! LOL...OMG:eek:LOL:D:p:cool:I just can't stop:D

Top Bottom