Another one of my maples.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
I repotted this maple last weekend and meant to get pictures up then too..
better late than never I suppose.
I'm not sure of the cultivar, I'm hoping it's a mountain maple, but maybe with some foliage shots tomorrow someone can confirm. The bark is a lighter tan than the typical grey.

Thoughts?

green-arakawa_maples%20(3%20of%203).JPG

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
thats a real nice tree.... doesn't appear to me to be grafted from this area (except maybe at the roots which is good) .... the possibility of not having a graft is a good chance that its plain Acer P.

either way... a really nice tree... if it were mine the only thing i would take into consideration is the idea of moving the the lower left branch down a little . it seems to be a little too high...

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
thats a real nice tree.... doesn't appear to me to be grafted from this area (except maybe at the roots which is good) .... the possibility of not having a graft is a good chance that its plain Acer P.

either way... a really nice tree... if it were mine the only thing i would take into consideration is the idea of moving the the lower left branch down a little . it seems to be a little too high...

I am really hoping that it is plain Acer, I've looked around the base pretty exstensively and haven't really found any signs of a graft. I guess it's a little hard at this point in the bark developement.
I agree with the lower left branch needing to be moved down even more. Unfortunately the main part of the branch has been growing upwards for some time and has very in the way of give. I was thinking of doing a very gradual guy wire movement, in addition to working all of the other branches downward to futher the illustion. There was an old bonsai today issue(81) with a maple that had a very similar branch issue, in the end the owner ended up leaving the steep upward angle and working the secondary/tertiary branches downward.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think with some effort and time spent working the branch slowly to slip the cambium and move the branch down I think you should be able to at least lower the branch... slowly and carefully should help improve the design even if it is only a slight change....

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
I think with some effort and time spent working the branch slowly to slip the cambium and move the branch down I think you should be able to at least lower the branch... slowly and carefully should help improve the design even if it is only a slight change....

I'll see what I can do :D

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's a beauty Ray! Really nice flow all the way through. Is this from your grower up there? I love the knees at the base. This is my fav. part of the leaf opening..

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Really beautiful indeed! My suggestion would be you need to grow those bottom branches out quite a bit to match the thickness of the trunk.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Really nice tree Ray! Would you consider this perhaps?

green-arakawa_virtual.jpg

You know, I hadn't really thought about this, but I like it! I think I'll print this and ponder over it for a while, I'd hate to do anything drastic :D
Thanks for the vert by the way!

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Really beautiful indeed! My suggestion would be you need to grow those bottom branches out quite a bit to match the thickness of the trunk.

This year I opted to try and get the overall length of the bottom most braches going. I have left a few shoots up top un-pinched to promote their thickening but the majority of the work this year I think will be down low unless I can keep a nice balance.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
It's a beauty Ray! Really nice flow all the way through. Is this from your grower up there? I love the knees at the base. This is my fav. part of the leaf opening..

Thanks Judy!
I really like the knees as well, there's some more exciting things under the soil that should be revealed in the next couple years but for now, we enjoy the knees.

Sorry for all the replies, I just now am seeing the multi-quote button haha.

Top Bottom