Another procu

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well,,, almost 1/4 of the way of going through all my overgrown trees...Japanese garden juniper..

This tree was somewhat tough to work on.. All the main branches were too long for the tree. I had to cut and wire a new leader on most of them. On some it was difficult because there were not that many branches to begin with... It does look a bit more balanced than it did.. However, in a few years when the trunk thickens more, it should all work out..I will need to keep an eye on the first beanch on the right... It is very week and has very little foliage...For now, it will stay in this over sized bonsai pot that it was put i nlast year for another year or so....

Pic 1 is the tree out of winter storage

As always...comments and criticisms welcome...

Rob

Attachments

• pictures2 034.jpg
    pictures2 034.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 127
  • pictures2 049.jpg
    pictures2 049.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 98
  • pictures2 031.jpg
    pictures2 031.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 138
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice haircut!!! :D It's looking great... your trees are developing so nicely Rob... V

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks miss vic...It will look better in a more appropriate size bonsai pot next year or leter.. It will really make the informal trunk stand out.

Rob

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice job. I have a shimpaku with similar lines that I'll be working on next weekend, and your tree is a nice model for me to keep in mind.

One question though - you mentioned that in a few years the trunk should thicken out more. In my limited experience, juniper trunks don't seem to thicken up much at all when they are in pots, even slightly oversized training pots.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you edro.. I think it took around 9-10 hours of wiring and pruning...

Hello mcpesq817... Yes, you are correct, junipers don't thicken very quickly in pots....When I mentioned " a few years" I was speaking more in terms of several years...Kind of something that you don't even wait for, but one day when you look, it just seems to happen...Basically, I need to get the first branch on the right healthy and also, let the other branches gain some strength, but atr the same time, keeping the main branches length where they are now.

Hello catfish chapstick thank you...especially for noticing the apex...I am really an advocate of a nice apex on a tree.. I work very meticulously to structure a good apex that will have a nice future.. To me, the apex is one of the most important things on a tree..I believe this because it is the last thing the eye sees when it observes a tree..
When you view a bonsai, you may see a nice base, then your eye follows it up and you see a nice trunk, then the branches...However, if the apex is awful, it will detract from the image that you are left with in your mind....I would like to add that I am talking about a finished or near finished tree..Sometimes, you cannot even create a nice skeleton apex on rough stock... I do try though...

Rob

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice job. Makes my hands hurt just looking at that foliage...

shimps are friendly:)
Procumbens are nasty:mad:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Nice work Rob, my only suggestion. The apex is a little too heavy, just my 2 cents.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• attachment (1).jpg
    attachment (1).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 19

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Harry,...This is, somewhat, on purpose... Visually, you are correct.. The apex is a bit wide for the tree... However... this apex is made up of many very young, barely woodened off branchlets... I opted to let them all harden off and grow out and then make my decisions where to go from there...but yes, speaking from pure balance perspective, the apex is a bit broad for the tree....

Rob

Top Bottom