Another Red Pot Rescue!!!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just before the storm, I hit up another Lowes and HD to find something to work on while I am snowed in. I didn't find any good DAS, but what I did find was a Japanese Holly "Chesapeake" with smaller size leaves (about the size of a fingernail) and a classic looking base with good movement!
IMG_2092.JPG
IMG_2095.JPG
It should be a nice medium size tree in a few seasons.
IMG_2093.JPG IMG_2094.JPG
It was a bit dry in the leaves and in the soil, but nothing was browning, or too brittle. I have never worked with these species, but I have read they are sensitive to repotting, but handle cutting well. Let me know if my plan sounds appropriate:

1. Today, dig down in the red pot to expose the nebari (which looks like it flares out).
2. I want to rebuild strength/vigor this season. For today, I will only prune foliage that has too many branches in a whirl and will cause inverse taper when allowed to grow this season. Everything else will be left alone!
3. Half bare root in the spring and get into the ground, or an appropriate container for growth.
4. Make a hard chop either during this growing season, or the following spring.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is the tree after the initial work today. I dug out the nebari, found the front I liked the best, selected lower branches that I liked, eliminated branches that would cause inverse taper, thinned the top a bit so the lower branches got more light, and bent down some branches with guy wires) It winded up having a nice 2.5 inch nebari (on one side), along with the with the 1.25 inch trunk. The tree was heavily root bound, so root work and repotting will be first this spring.
IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2098.JPG IMG_2101.JPG
After it recovers, I am planning on cutting it here to continue the zig zag movement. Also, bending the two first branches down further (I didn't want to push it with the crappy pot). This is definitely better suited as a medium size tree.
IMG_2099.JPG

Great material for only $10!!!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Next year it should be hardy enough to live outdoors all winter. Great find.
I like your plan, work the roots, getting the root work done the first year, then worry about trunk and branches in years 2 or 3 and beyond is a plan I often use.

Hollies like an acidic media, much like azalea do. Keeping them happy shouldn't be too difficult, if you can keep azalea growing, then hollies should be no problem. If you can't keep azalea going, time to start reading up.

Top Bottom