Another roadside attraction: Honey Locust

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I marked this honey locust a year ago and today was the day to dig. It had been squashed flat on the roadside and the trunk you see was flat on the asphalt. This is how it came out of the ground.....didn't trim a branch. It had started to sprout, but that usually doesn't matter in my area.

For my style of bonsai, this is as close to a ready-made bonsai as I could ask for. Let's call it a mini fairytale bonsai.

unnamed (80).jpgunnamed (81).jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree...nice. Some carving adjust the weight of the big knot will make it even better. It has excellent potential to be unique and interesting. I like that lite and whimsical foliage feeling.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yeah, Tieball, you get what you get when a tree has been mowed over a few times. It's going to be challenging to get something out of it. I'll give up standard bonsai design for great character almost any day.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, Tieball, you get what you get when a tree has been mowed over a few times. It's going to be challenging to get something out of it. I'll give up standard bonsai design for great character almost any day.
I have a shorty Oak that was a mow over so to speak. Middle of the yard growth. staying below the blades for awhile. Then....It took off one season. In order to continue mowing I finally chopped it off at ground level with a saw. That didn’t seem to stop it. I finally dug it up. It survived the digging and is in a box now....growing from that leftover stump. Not at all tall like yours. It has a future.

On your tree...a challenge...sure.....but a good challenge. Creative. I can see a bright future starting with a few well placed cuts to get it going. It appears to be growing well. Nice to get it stabilized and accustomed to a new surrounding. Nice material. Great potential.

If you get bored with it...I know someone interested in it. $

Last edited:

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
How to start in bonsai: Buy a couple dozen assorted seedlngs. Feed and water em real good. Every two years or so, mow em down and roll over a few of em for good measure. On about year 5 , you'll have some interesting and , undoubtably, challenging material.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How to start in bonsai: Buy a couple dozen assorted seedlngs. Feed and water em real good. Every two years or so, mow em down and roll over a few of em for good measure. On about year 5 , you'll have some interesting and , undoubtably, challenging material.
Now I get it. You have a great plan. Funny thing is....this could really work.

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
I think it’s beautiful! Great great find!

Top Bottom