Another roadside mulberry

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I had flagged this one this summer and almost walked by it when I saw a 1/2 square of orange. Whoa! Almost like Christmas! It's got good bones. The first pic is how I dug it, minus about 20" of thin branches. The second pic is after I gave it a good clean-up and put a little charcoal on the wounds......... a little make-up for the camera.

Looking at it now, that center, vertical branch might eventually have to go. Also, the high. left apex branch might have to be shortened and regrown. All easy stuff with a mulberry. Not bad, though, for being an hour out of the ground.

unnamed (86).jpgunnamed (87).jpg

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Nice find. Does the charcoal have any horticultural benefit or is it purely cosmetic at this point?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice find. Does the charcoal have any horticultural benefit or is it purely cosmetic at this point?

I'm thinking it may have some benefit, but I'm not making any claims. Mixed with a little water, it really covers up the stark white sapwood of most trees. Once you water the tree a couple times, it either mostly washes off or stains the wood a light gray. Usually a couple of applications and a little time yeilds a scar that mostly disappears.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Leatherback, I chopped off the offending branch. I also carved the big chunk of deadwood on the left side ,right below the apex branch. Nice clean lines now.

View attachment 282411
Dupre Live™️ 😉 Bonsai in action right there. Looks much better.

Nice idea with the charcoal too. I might have to try it to obscure some cuts myself.

SkyKing

Seed
Reaction score
Nice work! My bonsai neighbor.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
An update: One of the hazards of collecting roadside material is Roundup poisoning. That seems to have happened to this tree. The left side sprouted really twisted and deformed foliage. It held on for a few months and finally gave up the ghost. I recently carved it all off and will completely change the position of the tree come repotting season. First pic is the original angle. Second pic is the proposed new angle. I'll need to let that new trunk grow out a bit to improve taper.

While on mulberries. ...... I've tried a couple of different products to combat the leaf spot I get on mulberries, but nothing seems to work but pruning the offending leaves and letting new ones come in. Anyone had succes in getting rid of leaf spot?

unnamed - 2020-08-25T074245.708.jpgunnamed - 2020-08-25T074310.801.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a red Mulberry, but haven't had a problem with leaf spot on mine.

Top Bottom