Another Shimpaku semi-bunjin

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Beautiful tree! I’m trying to learn more about design, instead of actively ignoring it like I have previously. That said, I’d love to see the post-prune pic. It looks like it filled out some gaps nicely after the ‘Shaner styling’ (which I guess is completely different from a Shiner styling) and I’d like to see what you prune to bring back some negative space.

Also it appears that the trunk changed angle between repotting, what aspects were you trying to improve or accencutate with the change?

Thanks!
I'm hoping to carve out some time tomorrow to prune this one back into shape so hopefully pics by this time tomorrow afternoon... we'll see;). As far as the change in trunk angle between re-pots, I suspect there was a very subtle change to the right, for a more upright looking tree. Ultimately, the nice movement and deadwood on the trunk is what make the image... planting in an upright position highlights that while downplaying the irregular nebari, which, in hindsight, was a detractor when the tree was planted in a leaning position.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love that it's in the same pot from 2010.

I also love that wiggly yellow bit.Capture+_2019-10-25-11-08-22.png

Seems like removing that lower pad part will allow the trunk to compliment the wiggly part better, but also tighten up that triangle up there.
Then something else about the seperation that is like a "dick move" to be like...
"Yes, I AM drop branch Murphy!"

Something about that pad gone seems like everything will POP.

It will also be more multi, or both directional, since that larger negative space "suggests" more. I can see an accent plant on either side then.

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I also love that wiggly yellow bit.View attachment 268156

Seems like removing that lower pad part will allow the trunk to compliment the wiggly part better, but also tighten up that triangle up there.
Then something else about the seperation that is like a "dick move" to be like...
"Yes, I AM drop branch Murphy!"

Something about that pad gone seems like everything will POP.

It will also be more multi, or both directional, since that larger negative space "suggests" more. I can see an accent plant on either side then.

Sorce
Heh heh... in between rain showers and finding that several of my other junipers STILL have spider mites (very distracting), I completely forgot to shorten that branch, along with shortening or removing 1-2 others. The plan for this one has always been to create a bunjin while hanging on to the wiggly bit. Letting the canopy grow and mature over the last decade was fun, but it was also necessary to get to the point where I could really reduce that branch and have it look good. I also removed a branch at the very top of the trunk to show more of the trunk. There will likely be further editing over the next few years- the wiggly branch needs reducing to stay in line with the rest of the tree, as well as more work on the sharis.
IMG_3429.jpgIMG_3428.jpg

Last edited:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
...but I bet it's been repotted since then 😄😄
The stucco is distracting , as is the coloration of the pot.

Thanks for sharing your tree projects. They inspire.
While your tree projects ARE inspiring @Dav4
I don't see any issues with the stucco nor the colour of the pot.
Neither distract from the works of the artist to any point of not seeing the tree.
No likes on any of his posts? Hmmmm

I just want to know what software HotAction used in post #6 to render that photo...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
...but I bet it's been repotted since then 😄😄

While your tree projects ARE inspiring @Dav4
I don't see any issues with the stucco nor the colour of the pot.
Neither distract from the works of the artist to any point of not seeing the tree.
No likes on any of his posts? Hmmmm

I just want to know what software HotAction used in post #6 to render that photo...
If I recall, bonsaiTom hasn't been here for a minute... almost 5 years... and the likes he might have received back then don't register anymore. Anyway, due to limitations related to my location and skill, the quality of my photos never live up to that of their subjects... sigh.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I recall, bonsaiTom hasn't been here for a minute... almost 5 years... and the likes he might have received back then don't register anymore. Anyway, due to limitations related to my location and skill, the quality of my photos never live up to that of their subjects... sigh.
I’m right there with ya Dave. While my trees are not on your trees level yet, I swear they look better than they photograph. I’ve been wanting to take quick videos to go with my images for sometime, in order truly show the dimension in each. I’ve taken videos but couldn’t figure a simple way of uploading a video. I quickly started a Vimio account the other day and have been able to take great and simple videos that show all of the tree. I’d love to see some of your trees in a such a manner if you feel like giving it a try! Either way. Your photography shows your trees better than you think. 👌🏻

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That looks excellent!

I knew it couldn't just be that low part but couldn't put my eye on it....

The higher bit of trunk you exposed really makes the tree Great.

Sorce

Top Bottom