Another shohin juniper

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi All,
2 seasons ago, my teacher asked me to do some styling and clean up on one of his junipers. Last season, I went back and took the wire off, rewired and cleaned it up. Unfortunately, I do have a before pic. Maybe if my teacher reads this post, he might have a before pic. :D Sorry for the bad quality pic.

Rob

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah finally a juniper with hunks of dead wood hanging off of it everywhere. It's beautiful. Is it for sale?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Simple and effective. It reminds me of why I became interested in bonsai to begin with. :cool:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ah finally a juniper with hunks of dead wood hanging off of it everywhere. It's beautiful. Is it for sale?

Ironically enough, shortly after I worked on it, I asked my teacher that very same question. Nope, it's not for sale.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Simple and effective. It reminds me of why I became interested in bonsai to begin with. :cool:

Thank you. I believe this tree originally came from Master Iishi. I believe it aged fast as well. When I worked on it 2 years ago and went back the next year. From what I remembered, the trunk had thickened up quite a bit for only one year.

Rob

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rob it is an aged looking tree, nice! I was wondering about one thing though, the bottom branches look like bar branches to me like they are coming off the same plane. Is this something that will be addressed or is it one of those breaking the rules instances. To me it breaks up the view of the tree as my eye seems to catch there and stop, making it the first and most relevant thing I see about the tree.

ed

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Rob it is an aged looking tree, nice! I was wondering about one thing though, the bottom branches look like bar branches to me like they are coming off the same plane. Is this something that will be addressed or is it one of those breaking the rules instances. To me it breaks up the view of the tree as my eye seems to catch there and stop, making it the first and most relevant thing I see about the tree.

ed

Hi Ed. I cannot remember exactly about the branches. However, I believe they are close, but are not bar branches. You have to consider the size of this tree. The tree is only around 8 inches tall. Although branch placement is important, the pad structure can play a big part. Since the pads are not on the same levels, it makes it alright. Think about it like this, excluding the bottom trunk, you are only working with about 6 inches of vertical space. To not have branches close together would be very difficult. :D

Rob

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking at the picture again it seems the left branch is a tad higher and perhaps the way its being held makes it look like the branches are even. I then wondered how ot would look without the bottom right branch so I covered it with my finger and it looks pretty dam good without it, but maybe thats just me.

ed

Top Bottom