another silly question

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
As i was out walking today enjoying the sight and smell of the blossom on the wild gorse i came to thinking can you bonsai gorse or is it to untidy to manage. I'm going to give it a go anyway. Does anyone know enough to say that i'm definetly wasting my time ?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I know knothing of these, but it made me look up what gorse is - from Wikapedia.

Gorse, furze, furse or whin (Ulex) is a genus of about 20 species of spiny evergreen shrubs in the subfamily Faboideae of the pea family Fabaceae, native to western Europe and northwest ...

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
Spiny is an understatement and as for evergreen noone thought to tell the ones in this country that :)
as the brown winter/early spring gorse is highly fllammable and often careless fires near this stuff ends up with entire hillsides alight (burning gorse does smell nice though). My main reason for wanting to try bonsaing gorse is the very gnarly bark and it's beutiful yellow flowers (which smell of coconut and can be used to make gorse flower wine which is one of the greatest drinks ever.:D)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sounds like nothing to loose, well maybe a little finger tip blood:D

If it doesn't pan out for bonsai, then to the brewery with you.

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
It's always good to have a back up plan;):) I'm going to go out looking for a specimen some time this week i'll post some photo's cos i think they are stunning and if you don't get them out in the us it will be something new for many of u.

Top Bottom