Another Species Identification -- Is this an Aspen?

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry, I don't remember where I got this picture from, but I think it might be Bonsai Tonight. One of the earlier posts, perhaps.

Any ideas? I thought it might be an aspen, but some of the pictures of aspen leaves I've pulled up differ slightly.

DSC_0027.jpg

Last edited:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Deffinitely not Aspen... I'm leaning toward redbud or linden. The bark on aspen is white and then changes to black as it ages and becomes rough. The leaves are slightly different as well. (not so heart shaped)

I like the tree pictured above though :)

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dan, thank you so much for the response. After looking up more linden pictures, I'm almost sure it's indeed a linden. The bark looks very similar, too.

By the way, thanks for the info on aspen as well. That sounds very interesting...I don't know if the leaves reduce, or how well they'd be as bonsai, but it sounds like it might make for a fun project. Anyone ever tried aspen bonsai?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have an aspen forest grouping. They don't look like much as of yet, I'll take a photo and post it. I am just doing it to remind me of the aspen forests out west that I love so much.

timhanson81

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also remember looking at this tree online somewhere...... I can't seem to find it either. I recall it being a Katsura tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicium) which I remember because I have wondered about using them for bonsai in the past. I also seem to recall that Ryan Neil gave it best in show. I may be totally making that up........

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Judy, have you ever considered collecting one? They're absolutely beautiful. After this I've really been considering picking one up. Apparently Brent sells them...

Tim, you could be right. Katsura seem to have beautiful fall color. A similar leaf shape, too...that could be it.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alex, I have one that I'm messing with; Just a small collected one to see how it responds to treatment. The leaves are already quite small on the Quakie's we have here in WY, and they do reduce because the one I collected had leaves less than half the size of most.
I have a couple of others with thick trunks that have been beat down orver several years by the elements that I'm going after this spring.

Glad I could help :)

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's these quaking Aspen collected by chrisbotero that I keep waiting for update-photos of.. I suppose we'll have to wait until June or later if his collection time last year really was when those trees generally start pushing buds and leafing out.

Top Bottom