Another Tree ID, St. John’s wart?

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok, here’s another. I try not to get out of hand with these IDs but again can’t seem to find a definitive answer. I thought it might be St John’s Wart but it never gets flowers. However, it’s gets cut back constantly as it grows like a weed so that might be why. Does not like dry soil. Paired leaves. Buds from everywhere. A scant amount of leaves in the shady side of the tree just starting to change color a little but it is way behind everything else and may just be a light issue. Embarrassed to say but can’t recall if this drops it’s leaves in the Fall. I didn’t pay it much attention last year as it was basically just a stump.l with some vertical branches sticking out of it. It developed quickly. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

5D0F5EBB-6B58-4085-B079-82A3EAF03662.jpeg

34977CFE-7B43-4D2E-A792-49057E418D75.jpeg
3E739A13-7C39-4668-A20F-63DFAF45960E.jpeg

4DE1DA8B-FC94-4969-8C0F-5F006F8BEDDA.jpeg

Obligatory Fall garden pic. You can see the tree in question here on the imaginary vertical line of the left third of the photo.

F1C13DB9-364E-40CE-9B89-3C2785CBFD46.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like a Ligustrum of some kind. European Privet is found in Oregon. They flower, but maybe you’re pruning it before they develop in late spring.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The overall tree does look very much like Ligustrum and bark is a close match but leaves do not look quite right. I believe Ligustrum have pointed tips on leaves while the leaves shown all have an indented tip.

Artistree

Seedling
Reaction score
Looks to me like "Ligustrum sinense" the Chinese privet. I actually really like working with that species. They are invasive everwhere in the woods here in Western North Carolina, and I have dug quite a few over the years. Tough as nails. It will only flower on strong shoots that are not fall pruned. Next spring those shoots should develop a panicle of flowers.

Top Bottom