Another tree to identify

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm new to Bonsai Nut -- physician working in Bakersfield, California, just starting to get back into bonsai (but I have never been very good at it). I found this sprouting in my backyard, and it doesn't resemble any of my trees. Any idea what this might be? I figure since it's sprouting wild, I might have a shot at getting it to survive a Bakersfield summer. Thanks,

Doug
unknown_backyard.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hello, douglashoffman! Welcome to the tiny forest! Dig your roots in.. stay a while!

I can’t help you much, really, with the identification, but I’d bet “the farm” that you’ll get the answers you’re looking for amongst this wonderful community of enlightened souls.

It looks like a few “acorn presents” I have seen.. but your climate is going to be much different and produce varying local “acorn presents” 🤓, so don’t listen to me... take the next guy’s advice. Hehehe

Pleasure to make your acquaintance! (THIS time “around”)

Reaction score
Thanks! Just curious, how many folks here recognize your nickname? (I'm a fan, too.)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Haha!!! You’re the FIRST!!!! (At least first to mention it) I’ve been waiting.... :)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@HorseloverFat
I admit I had to google it. Cool nickname. I won't say, let others if they are curious google it.

@douglashoffman
You probably have one oak or another, genus Quercus. You will have to dig to find which oaks are native to your valley, and which introduced oaks are doing well enough that they could have seeded into your yard.

In general Oaks, Quercus, make decent bonsai, but are very slow to develop. Oak seedlings are 20 to 40 year projects before they become "show or exhibition" trees. But eventually they do make good bonsai. To learn bonsai, there are easier, more responsive species to use. For example, elms, any locally occurring elm will respond nicely to bonsai techniques within the lifespan of a mere mortal.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Likely Northern Red Oak Q. Rubra or hybrid with Pin Oak Q. palustris or even with White Oak:confused:. More mature leaves will tell more;).

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm still not good at using the forum, I meant to quote the OP when he said he resides in bakersfield
That's O.K. This kind of thing has a tendency to happen around here, people post something with a local colloquialism and expect every body to understand. Most people don't care enoiugh to find out what they are talking about or don't care, the rest arn't willing to embarrass them selves by being made to look stupid. Some around here make a pass time of that little practice.

Artistree

Seedling
Reaction score
Within the genus Quercus (the oaks) there are two tribes: the red oaks, and the white oaks. All species of red oak within the red oak tribe have small bristles at the tip of the each leaf lobe. None of the white oak species have bristle tips. For further clues at to which oak species it could be, look for its mother, which may be a nearby street tree or a tree in your yard. Without help from some animal (including humans) acorns generally dont travel far from their mother. Although the acorn could have come in mulch or something and traveled a long way; who knows.. Young oak trees have highly variable leaves and oak species do sometimes naturally hybridize. As it gets older, the leaf shape will solidify a bit more and make identification easier.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Within the genus Quercus (the oaks) there are two tribes: the red oaks, and the white oaks. All species of red oak within the red oak tribe have small bristles at the tip of the each leaf lobe. None of the white oak species have bristle tips. For further clues at to which oak species it could be, look for its mother, which may be a nearby street tree or a tree in your yard. Without help from some animal (including humans) acorns generally dont travel far from their mother. Although the acorn could have come in mulch or something and traveled a long way; who knows.. Young oak trees have highly variable leaves and oak species do sometimes naturally hybridize. As it gets older, the leaf shape will solidify a bit more and make identification easier.
You beat me to it

Top Bottom