Another twisty shinpaku... to wire or not to wire?

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi!

Here is little guy that I have recently acquired and I am about to wire some movement into the bottom left and right branches, but was not sure if I should be wiring the higher branches just yet…
Was thinking of letting them grow and thicken this season, then wire later in fall/winter?
Was also going to repot in early spring into a smaller container to start getting its roots mass down. Might also give it a slight tilt to the left…

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_1350.jpg
    IMG_1350.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 80

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Why wait to wire when they’re easier to shape now?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the tilt but it seems the right side may be too sparse to make a "top" of that side.

Would a right heavier tilt work?

What does the other side look like?
Trying to avoid cutting the Jin.

From this front, I'd end the Jin before it crosses the entire trunk, maybe even before it reaches the trunk.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would wire now (Wire as young as you can safely handle). Expand the yin into a shari running along the trunk. IF you repot, not in a much smaller container, but in better substrate and work on getting as good a nebari as possible. Then let it run for some years, annual wire check and working the shari. Get some character in the trunk. I think it would be a shame to now stop the development and start creating a bonsai. A few more years of directed growth will get you a very nice tree.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'll also go for early wiring. Juniper wood gets hard quite quick. The earlier you can wire the better the bends you can put into them.
Agree with Leatherback about giving it some more time to grow and develop branches. Developing junipers is a marathon rather than a sprint to the finish.

Top Bottom