Another Ume

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This one has been trimmed back twice so far, and is slowly pushing it's 3rd and last flush. It's not nearly as vigorous this summer, losing a larger secondary branch near the bottom of the cascading branch after the 2nd cut back, perhaps related to drought stress last fall vs the borer i discovered about 3 weeks ago!!! I applied a granular systemic and no more frass... fingers crossed!

IMG_7362.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Repotted yesterday, with a very slight planting angle change and rotated counterclockwise just a bit, and more of the roots were exposed. I’m not sure if I’m going to like the new front or not… But it is in a round pot so not that big a deal :).

IMG_7885.jpeg

Last edited:

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Look at that ramification, excellent work. I've got air layers that flower but I'm not confident enough to chop, they're so straggly.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This one did not have a good season of growth last year. Couple that with an unfortunate lawnmowing accident… 😩… and it lost a couple of branches off the left side and the back Along with a fair amount of fine branching throughout the canopy. I honestly was afraid that I might lose it over the winter, but there are lots of big fat buds swelling right now. I’m not doing anything to it other than trimming back, obviously leaving healthy buds in place, removing dead growth, and repositioning some of the branching slightly. At this point, I don’t ever expect this one to flower, at least not in a bonsai pot, but I’d like to keep it alive a little bit longer :).

IMG_8718.jpeg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really good ramification!

i wonder why it won't flower?? Is there anything that can help push it to flower?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really good ramification!

i wonder why it won't flower?? Is there anything that can help push it to flower?
I think it's 100% genetic. This one, along with the seedlings I sourced from Evergreen Gardenworks way back, only flowered sporadically while growing out in the ground, and none of them have flowered while potted up. Meanwhile my Ume 'Kobai' is sitting in my cold room in it's wooden box with about 100 blooms about to pop.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it's 100% genetic. This one, along with the seedlings I sourced from Evergreen Gardenworks way back, only flowered sporadically while growing out in the ground, and none of them have flowered while potted up. Meanwhile my Ume 'Kobai' is sitting in my cold room in it's wooden box with about 100 blooms about to pop.
I would second that thought. My greenhouse has smelled fantastic for weeks now. I have never seen my wife visit the greenhouse so often. One of the highlights of the winter.
Amazing base on this one posted though. Carving challenge coming up!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Same. The seedling I bought from Evergreen in January 2010 has yet to bloom…in or out of the ground, and it’s pretty well-ramified now.

Top Bottom