Another Ume

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Any direction on all the cut off stumps? there a bit gangly and distracting for a nice trunk that could be there. I just made some massive cuts on my massive one and will need to start some carving next spring to start going the direction I want.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Any direction on all the cut off stumps? there a bit gangly and distracting for a nice trunk that could be there. I just made some massive cuts on my massive one and will need to start some carving next spring to start going the direction I want.
They’ll eventually get carved, probably later this summer. I need to do a good job as the carving will be right out in front?.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Soooooooo.... I got a phone call this afternoon to prepay my deductible for an mri I’m having on my wrist tomorrow morning before work. D5E177EF-9991-4587-897B-2B3FDD790999.jpegFEE281C4-F95A-4C99-8D19-1B78BCD72601.jpeg9C2556C3-27B3-4041-9284-E1674B95C134.jpegFD1CE13A-17F9-4C9E-915B-B8BA569A24C3.jpeg6307391F-D0D6-4BA9-A5B3-E9B1B4698368.jpegI’ve been dealing with problems there that will likely result in either surgery, or forced extreme inactivity of that arm for a bit, all depending on the results of tomorrow’s imaging.… And holy crap! MRIs are expensive… And I have shitty insurance so my deductible was huge. I needed to blow off some steam, and realizing that I might not be able to actually hold a Dremel come July, I decided to start the carving today. It’s not an ideal time, because the new buds are fragile, but I needed to do it if you know what I mean :). Anyways, It’s a decent start, and I can always come back later and touch things up. In fact, I plan on it. Better pics after leaf drop.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
And holy crap! MRIs are expensive… And I have shitty insurance so my deductible was huge.
Good luck, I had an MRI on my knee last week. After losing some weight, I had worked up to running 20 miles a week.
$515 to learn I need to back off running (Chondrosis), and for another $300 I have some odd-looking exercises to do each day now. Fortunately I can still work on trees. I coulda bought a bunch of crappy Amur maples for that money.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good luck, I had an MRI on my knee last week. After losing some weight, I had worked up to running 20 miles a week.
$515 to learn I need to back off running (Chondrosis), and for another $300 I have some odd-looking exercises to do each day now. Fortunately I can still work on trees. I coulda bought a bunch of crappy Amur maples for that money.
My deductible was more than twice yours… Unfortunately, I don’t have time to shop around... i’ve been dealing with pain and numbness in the wrist and lower hand, most likely secondary to injuries sustained over the years both at work and at home, that are impacting my ability to work… And to wire and Unwire my trees! The first doctor I saw three months ago most likely misdiagnosed me, and things have only gotten worse. Anyways, I need it to be over… Fall wiring season will be here before you know it ?.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My deductible was more than twice yours… Unfortunately, I don’t have time to shop around... i’ve been dealing with pain and numbness in the wrist and lower hand, most likely secondary to injuries sustained over the years both at work and at home, that are impacting my ability to work… And to wire and Unwire my trees! The first doctor I saw three months ago most likely misdiagnosed me, and things have only gotten worse. Anyways, I need it to be over… Fall wiring season will be here before you know it ?.
Best of luck, hopefully it can be remedied.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ouch, good luck my friend.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did they check your neck? Some years ago I had pain and tingling in my hand (mainly in a few of the fingers) and it turned out it was due to nerve compression in my neck (c6/c7). Eventually resolved on its own but I'll probably have to deal with it again someday.

Good luck in any case!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Soooooooo.... I got a phone call this afternoon to prepay my deductible for an mri I’m having on my wrist tomorrow morning before work. View attachment 245741View attachment 245743View attachment 245744View attachment 245745View attachment 245746I’ve been dealing with problems there that will likely result in either surgery, or forced extreme inactivity of that arm for a bit, all depending on the results of tomorrow’s imaging.… And holy crap! MRIs are expensive… And I have shitty insurance so my deductible was huge. I needed to blow off some steam, and realizing that I might not be able to actually hold a Dremel come July, I decided to start the carving today. It’s not an ideal time, because the new buds are fragile, but I needed to do it if you know what I mean :). Anyways, It’s a decent start, and I can always come back later and touch things up. In fact, I plan on it. Better pics after leaf drop.
Wow! Sorry to hear about that!

Which workshops did you sign up for at the Shohin Nationals? Maybe I can take them for you! (What are friends for, anyway?)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did they check your neck? Some years ago I had pain and tingling in my hand (mainly in a few of the fingers) and it turned out it was due to nerve compression in my neck (c6/c7). Eventually resolved on its own but I'll probably have to deal with it again someday.
Good luck in any case!
I definitely have neck issues, but my wrist is truly messed up. It has a hard swelling extending from the base of my thumb back several inches where I believe it’s impinging in a nerve that innervates the palm... painfully annoying!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow! Sorry to hear about that!

Which workshops did you sign up for at the Shohin Nationals? Maybe I can take them for you! (What are friends for, anyway?)

9 am Friday itoigawa workshop... You’ll miss it as you’ll be stuck charging your Tesla in Charlotte ?. Where there’s a will, there’s a way, and I’ll be there.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Medical treatment in America is incredibly expensive. When we visited to go to Disney my wife stepped off a high kerb and badly twisted her ankle. Ambulance, X-ray, doctor bills and crutches all came to about 2000 bucks and that was over 15 years ago. Thank goodness for insurance!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Medical treatment in America is incredibly expensive. When we visited to go to Disney my wife stepped off a high kerb and badly twisted her ankle. Ambulance, X-ray, doctor bills and crutches all came to about 2000 bucks and that was over 15 years ago. Thank goodness for insurance!
It sure is... and it's much more expensive now then it was 15 years ago!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It sure is... and it's much more expensive now then it was 15 years ago!
It's not fair people have to lose their house to pay for medical bills or poorer people having to choose between insulin or food. I love America and it's people but this is one of the few things I'd vote to change if I was a citizen there.

Sorry about the soap boxing @Dav4 and I hope everything works out for you mate!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tough to get a Doctor to work for minimum wage!!
Should have said you had no insurance, probably cost you $300-400.....

Hope everything goes well @Dav4. Spent 20+ years grinding metal and my forearms and wrists won't ever be the same. Good luck!!:cool:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's not fair people have to lose their house to pay for medical bills or poorer people having to choose between insulin or food. I love America and it's people but this is one of the few things I'd vote to change if I was a citizen there.

Sorry about the soap boxing @Dav4 and I hope everything works out for you mate!
Fwiw, I agree with you! Proud to be an American, but Big Pharma and the Insurance industry are DEEP into the pockets of the politicians over here and we pay the price. Drugs, diagnostics, procedures all horribly overpriced. I agree with Lance, though... I want the Doc who makes $500,000 a year working part time to cut me.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fwiw, I agree with you! Proud to be an American, but Big Pharma and the Insurance industry are DEEP into the pockets of the politicians over here and we pay the price. Drugs, diagnostics, procedures all horribly overpriced. I agree with Lance, though... I want the Doc who makes $500,000 a year working part time to cut me.
Hey, Dav4... you’re a doctor! You perform surgery every day! Just give yourself some local, and DIY!

Easy-peasy!!!

Top Bottom