Another unusual mulberry

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I marked this mulberry during the summer and dug it up today. Another roadside find.......about 7 feet from the edge of the asphalt. It had been pushed over and mowed several times, so the roots formed higher up than I would like. I had to plant it at a low angle because of that. I left a small sprout sticking up for a possible clump style later on.

The first pic is just like I found it.......nothing trimmed. It's at a slightly higher angle than it was in the ground. Yeah......mildew. That's what you get in the shade in Louisiana.

unnamed - 2021-01-20T101348.959.jpg

This is how I potted it up for now. I'm just trying to get the root base in order for a couple of years. She's got character.

unnamed - 2021-01-20T101416.299.jpg

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A little hard to tell, but it looks like the first part of the trunk is very straight? I like it!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A little hard to tell, but it looks like the first part of the trunk is very straight? I like it!
Yep, it sure is. Most of the straight part is now below the soil surface. It's going to be a heck of an endeavor to make something out of it, but it's "interesting" and that's enough for me.

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I totally agree. Most of the things I have grown most people would turn a cold shoulder to! I think you’ll end up with a very interesting tree.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
With a tree like this, i basically have to put the "rule" book away and use it's one-of-a-kind properties to create something pleasing to my eyes. And I'll admit, I've chucked a few in the burn pile that just didn't "have it". Mosty, though, I can make something that I'm proud to have on my benches.

Top Bottom