Another Video of My Master explaining stuff

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Another video of Master Kim Young Jong explains some essential knowledge for growing healthy bonsai and penjing. In this video, Gardenia Jasminoides, Juniper Rigida, Azeleas and Quince
Check out the video.
Also if you haven't entered yet, why not enter the Golden shears competition. It's easy and free.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you just murder a juniper in that last video?
Nope, it's actually alive and growing well!
They wont die if they have been fattened up and not repotted before doing this crazy process

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome, thanks again. The bit about fertilizing flowering trees was funny.

Curious: is that a thuja you are walking by at 2:24? If so, how commonly is it worked in Korea?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome, thanks again. The bit about fertilizing flowering trees was funny.

Curious: is that a thuja you are walking by at 2:24? If so, how commonly is it worked in Korea?
Ah good question. Yes I believe it is a Thuja occidentalis. They are used pretty commonly and you can essentially treat them the same as a Hinoki except that to keep good shape you need to make sure you pinch the growth back from time to time. There isn't actually a word for it in Korean so they call it "foreign Hinoki" or "American Hinoki". They like water and are really tough as well as fast growers (compared to Hinoki) so quite fun to work on !

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks a lot for sharing. It's very interesting to see bonsai growers from different parts of the world.

And your master seems to be a very friendly person ;)

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks a lot for sharing. It's very interesting to see bonsai growers from different parts of the world.

And your master seems to be a very friendly person ;)
Thanks, he really is. Even when he's annoyed it's mostly bark and no bite.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Whereabout in Australia are you going to stay?

I mean, it's a big island, almost a continent by itself, and weather conditions can be very different from one place to the other. Do you already have any idea of the kind of trees you would like to grow there ?

And of course, you already know AusBonsai, don't you ?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Whereabout in Australia are you going to stay?

I mean, it's a big island, almost a continent by itself, and weather conditions can be very different from one place to the other. Do you already have any idea of the kind of trees you would like to grow there ?

And of course, you already know AusBonsai, don't you ?
Hahah yeah. I will be going to Wollongong which has a 'Marine Climate' so I will still be able to grow Pines but there are a lot of Native trees like Eucalyptus and She Oak ( Australian Pine.....why it is called She Ok I dont know) that I want experiment with. Also do trees that are unusual and very Korean like persimmon and Wild Apples.
Maybe figure out Morton Bay Figs although I will probably need to have them in a winter greenhouse.

On Ausbonsai but they took down my competition post. It seems very quiet on there......not much posting.....Bonsai nut is still the best English language forum

Top Bottom