Another what's next question from a newbe

Vasyl

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've got three trees that have grown to a point that I may actually have to start doing something with them, but all I've done so far is watering and feeding.
1. Bald cypress. Grown just this season from a pencil to about 1 and quarter inch. I plan to repot into a much larger contain20171014_154227.jpg 20171014_154110.jpg 20171014_154237.jpg er next year. My question on this one: let it grow or chop to start building taper. If so, when is the good time to chop?
2. Trident maple. Grown from seed. Now it is about inch and 3/4. Planted on a rock (will decide if I want to keep it on the rock when repotting - rock might be too small). Question on this one is the same as on BC. Chop or wait?
3. Juniper. Just rescued this one in the spring from underneath a wire fence at work. It had been weedwacked for years. Still pretty beat up but healing. Question: how do I overwinter? Should I plan to move it into a larger grow box in the spring or a shalow trainer pot?

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
The Bald Cypress keep growing out for another year or so. I grow mine in nondraining containers and the trunks seem to thicken up a bit quicker than when they w ere in nursery pots. They are very forgiving to root chops and both of mine are in really shallow dishes 3 inches deep. Do repotting in the spring before the buds break open. Love the rescued juniper, keep growing it too, when repotting it pull the soil away from the top and see if there is a trunk flare down there.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please, take at least 5 to 10 cuttings of each and experiment on them,
not the mothers.

To do Bonsai you should have around 300 expendable cuttings to test out
ideas.
Use the known and tested information on the mothers later.
Best of growing.
Good Day
Anthony

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long you been growing that trident?

Pimp!

Sorce

Vasyl

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The Bald Cypress keep growing out for another year or so. I grow mine in nondraining containers and the trunks seem to thicken up a bit quicker than when they w ere in nursery pots. They are very forgiving to root chops and both of mine are in really shallow dishes 3 inches deep. Do repotting in the spring before the buds break open. Love the rescued juniper, keep growing it too, when repotting it pull the soil away from the top and see if there is a trunk flare down there.
Thank you. I already have a plastic container for BC. I was going to drill holes in it for drainage. Should I leave it intact?

Vasyl

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Please, take at least 5 to 10 cuttings of each and experiment on them,
not the mothers.

To do Bonsai you should have around 300 expendable cuttings to test out
ideas.
Use the known and tested information on the mothers later.
Best of growing.
Good Day
Anthony
I'll have to learn to grow from cuttings. I've tried a few times and only ficus cuttings survived

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thank you. I already have a plastic container for BC. I was going to drill holes in it for drainage. Should I leave it intact?
Mine is in a ceramic pot 3 inches deep with no drainage and I top it with water once a day, but it is still hot down here in FLA, so you might not need to water it so often. I will cut back when it goes dormant. The BC grow in water and wetlands so they really can't get too wet.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
here it is
full

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Vasyl ,

those are beautiful plants and I will always suggest on the side of caution.

If you can get small plants,please do, safer to practice on.

Secondly, any clubs or instructors near you, They would be more helpful.

Thirdly, though there is a swamp cypress down here since the 1980's, I can give you
little advice as the climate is different.
However I can tell you the water and soil, swamp cypresses live in , in the wild is
oxygenated.
Not the same as growing in container with no drainage holes.

Fouthly, always check how long the person giving the advice has been growing
Bonsai for, and ask to see samples of their work.

Our swamp cypress is from Lafayette, Louisiana, brought home by a sister in
school on your Tree Day.
So maybe you can get a few whips on Tree Day ?

With your trees decide on the trunk width and tree's height, so you have something
to aim for.
You can find examples of trees posted by me on this site and my Brother-in-law
on IBC [ Internet Bonsai Club ].
Good Day
Anthony

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
you can also join the arbor day foundation and get 10 free plants. the 6 month membership was $10 and you get the 10 free plants i took the 10 bald cypress and im gonna play with those to see what works best

P.S.
I'm a noob too so i am doing what i can to find cheap trees to play with while I just let the trees I see the most potential in grow.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

No, and basically being up North is why. I have grown out many BC in water and it rarely BUT HAS caused problems because of the climate. If you have a warm Spring trend followed by frosts it will kill all the early foliage on a BC in water. I can go on with a lot of details but it is far easier for you and the BC to do this -
Plant it in a large good draining pot.
Place the pot in a larger container from March to November filled with fresh water.
All throughout growing season be certain to flush that container, remove green fungal, refill and put the plant back in it pot and all.
In November remove it and wash out the outer container, store for Winter.
Leave the BC in full sun throughout the Winter. I check mine every few days as it is a tad warmer here then there but don't let it get dry.
Frozen is OK - even better no need for water.
In March rinse and repeat - the tree will grow like crazy but remember it should be one of your last trees to break bud - normal.
I have typed enough for now, but if you want more detail as I mentioned there is PM me with a number or for my number and a time range - far easier to explain all on the phone ;)

Grimmy

Vasyl

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No, and basically being up North is why. I have grown out many BC in water and it rarely BUT HAS caused problems because of the climate. If you have a warm Spring trend followed by frosts it will kill all the early foliage on a BC in water. I can go on with a lot of details but it is far easier for you and the BC to do this -
Plant it in a large good draining pot.
Place the pot in a larger container from March to November filled with fresh water.
All throughout growing season be certain to flush that container, remove green fungal, refill and put the plant back in it pot and all.
In November remove it and wash out the outer container, store for Winter.
Leave the BC in full sun throughout the Winter. I check mine every few days as it is a tad warmer here then there but don't let it get dry.
Frozen is OK - even better no need for water.
In March rinse and repeat - the tree will grow like crazy but remember it should be one of your last trees to break bud - normal.
I have typed enough for now, but if you want more detail as I mentioned there is PM me with a number or for my number and a time range - far easier to explain all on the phone ;)

Grimmy
Thank you. What do you think of theese containers?15081891310641187089037.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hi Vasyl,
I missed you at the Milwaukee Bonsai Society Show. I was there, but tied up coordinating a workshop.

BC, @GrimLore is right. This far north you should use a well draining pot. Set pot in pan of water May to September. BC are not quite hardy for an extreme local winter. An unheated garage, or wrap the BC in burlap to protect from wind desiccation. We are colder than Grim's area.

Trident, chop only if the trunk is thick enough. What size tree you want? Trunk diameter looks good if 20% - 50% of total height for a single tree. Forest plantings can be around 10% , maybe less for background trees. So, if you want a 12 inch tall tree, don't chop until trunk is 4 inches or so diameter. Pretty much same answer for BC. Trident will need winter protection, unless we have an unusually warm winter. Can't depend on it being warm enough.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Juniper, because it is in a large enough pot, you can leave it pretty much where it is. They are super hardy. You could wrap it in burlap after a few hard freezes, it will prevent twigs getting wind burned. Not really necessary.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So end message, when to trunk chop depends on how tall you want the finished tree to be. With most trees, chop in late spring to early summer, after the first few nodes of new growth have hardened off. BC & Trident keep growing right up to autumn, so you can chop as late as first week of August, but no later in summer. Some trees you must do chops earlier, before summer, Beech, Euonymous, and a few others.

Vasyl

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi Vasyl,
I missed you at the Milwaukee Bonsai Society Show. I was there, but tied up coordinating a workshop.

BC, @GrimLore is right. This far north you should use a well draining pot. Set pot in pan of water May to September. BC are not quite hardy for an extreme local winter. An unheated garage, or wrap the BC in burlap to protect from wind desiccation. We are colder than Grim's area.

Trident, chop only if the trunk is thick enough. What size tree you want? Trunk diameter looks good if 20% - 50% of total height for a single tree. Forest plantings can be around 10% , maybe less for background trees. So, if you want a 12 inch tall tree, don't chop until trunk is 4 inches or so diameter. Pretty much same answer for BC. Trident will need winter protection, unless we have an unusually warm winter. Can't depend on it being warm enough.
Leo, how about the size of containers and pots? I was planning to move the trident and juniper into somewhat bigger but more shallow wood boxes in the spring. Same but plastic for BC. I know it is a bit too early to plan spring repotting.

Vasyl

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So end message, when to trunk chop depends on how tall you want the finished tree to be. With most trees, chop in late spring to early summer, after the first few nodes of new growth have hardened off. BC & Trident keep growing right up to autumn, so you can chop as late as first week of August, but no later in summer. Some trees you must do chops earlier, before summer, Beech, Euonymous, and a few others.
I do want bigger trees so I will try to be patient and wait. No trimming at all at this time, just wait?

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've got three trees that have grown to a point that I may actually have to start doing something with them
Vasyl,

The piece of advice that has stuck with me is "You don't grow a tree into a bonsai, you prune one into a bonsai". Sooner or later you're going to have to cut and you soouldn't be afraid to do that on a healthy tree as it will encourage growth. You don't want to ruin it, but should get used to cutting to make it better.
CW

Top Bottom