Another yew

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So.. a few yeara back I dug a yew hedgerow. Planted it in my growbed, let some sacrifices grow and basically let it get back to healh.

In spring i dug the first one up and potted it. It didnt skip a beat and had 3 flushes of growth this year. So.. time to make a plan. I did already remove the heavier sacrifice branches and made a quick directional sketch.

Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20190913-192050.pngScreenshot_20190913-192041.pngScreenshot_20190913-192101.pngScreenshot_20190913-192808.png

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hm.. Colours seem to be off.
And nobody make fun of my drawing skills. I know. I suck! It is just for the concept; not a realistic representation, lol.

Current intended front is because of the trunk direction, which comes to the viewer. Taking the back as front I cannot see working :(

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like your tree and sketch a lot. Im glad that your vision doesn’t attempt to bring the right side branches down too much to make them parallel with the rim of the pot.

Also like the very square pot in the sketch - not sure how literally you meant that but I think that would look very nice.

Nice base! 😎

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If possible i would look for a trunk line that can introduce a change of direction or some movement before beginning. Perhaps choose a new apex with shorter base.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If possible i would look for a trunk line that can introduce a change of direction or some movement before beginning. Perhaps choose a new apex with shorter base.
Hm.. not sure I understand yr suggestion. Do you have a specific trunkline in mind? where or how that line would be hidden?

Reaction score
Picture 2. This is what i see in it. Nice deadwood from the bottom and jin the straight piece where your apex is. Compact tree with a firm base.
IMG_9240.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hm.. not sure I understand yr suggestion. Do you have a specific trunkline in mind? where or how that line would be hidden?
Sorry if my thoughts were unclear! The current trunk line seems straight but not really a formal upright direction. This is unappealing to me and i would consider all the new growth as possible opportunities to create a change of direction or movement in the trunk line. This is a long term developmental approach rather than a pick a design today approach! A new apex on a piece like this would require carving, or broken top style of the old apex, but it can be very effective.
I would definitely spend the time examining all angles of planting to try and create some more movement or change of direction, Their is a lot of young growth to play with.
Just a suggestion, and i understand that the picture may not do justice to the actual trunk shape with all the new growth extensions still attached.
In summary, i think the material has better potential than the current view offers!

Reaction score
Big question Jelle : what you are going to do?!?

I would spent a 100 euro workshop on it. for sure!! Or just er gewoon nog 5 jaar verder mee aan modderen en dan doen wat je denkt dat goed is.
There are really nice features in this tree.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice.

I have one I bought years ago because I liked the trunk but the branches leave a lot to be desired. The person that grew it really messed up chopping it back at some point.
I have never really been happy with it. I am going to try a severe cut back on it in the fall and see if I can get it to give me some decent buds and redeem the tree.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thinned, unwired, trimmed and done probably final full tree wiring over the weekend. I hope that after next summer all the primaries and secondaries stay in place, and I can start building volume on the pads. For now, they look like lines as all the primaries and secondaries are aligned to later on have flat bottom pads. Still some work to be done on the deadwood, and I think the top is too high, but as the tree fills out that can easily corrected

1667808834344.png

Top Bottom