Another Zelkova

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Here's a Zelkova, which a have in training since 2003. I always had in mind to make this tree 'different' as a usual one. I'm a big fan of Hokidachi-style. So also this one had to become a broomstyle. But, because of the type of trunk it had: very straight and round as a tube, with a small, but good nebari, a normal Hokidachi wouldn't fit.. in my opinion a kind of 'flame-style' Hokidachi would fit better. That said, 19 years ago, was my goal with this tree. At the end, the tree is doing what I want, and it is going in the direction I want it to go. I think you like it or not...
Offcourse this is not his final pot, just a random pot which was standing of my shelf with enough space for development of the tree...
Any suggestions for a final pot?

IMG_2039.jpeg

This was the tree in 2003:

zelkova (1).jpg

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are the branches as 2-dimensional as they look in 2 dimensions? I like the idea of this, but the thick straight section on the apical leader catches my eye.

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Are the branches as 2-dimensional as they look in 2 dimensions? I like the idea of this, but the thick straight section on the apical leader catches my eye.
Yes, you're right about the 2-dimensions...
5 years ago I made a virtual in my opinion the apical leader is a bit less dominant...
IMG_2445.JPG

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The photo and the virt seem very left-right-left-right. Is it that way in actuality?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looms veery nice…….what is the height?
12”?
Looks ground layered👍

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
The tree is about 18".
Photo's from all sides... As you can see at the backphoto the tree had refused to develop secundairy branches at the main trunk/branche. Also refused to graft braches at the back... So I had to grow branches to the back from the secundairy branches..
Right:

right.jpg

Left:
left.jpg
Back:
back.jpg

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
In spring i repotted the tree in another pot. The pot is a bit of a story: it doesn't fit the tree completely; without the feet of the pot it would be better in my opinion. But I wanted to use the pot, because I bought it online at an auction, and the full amount of money pais for the pot was going to Ukraine. So for me this tree/pot combination is a symbol for the misery over there.....
IMG_2967.jpeg

Top Bottom