Ants ants everywhere

Elijahhlangford

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, so I have a collection of orchids, aristolochia, and jade bonsai in a 6x8 greenhouse. I can't seem to dissuade the ants from the delicious sap on my orchids. I have tried garden friendly powders, traps, cinnamon, and frequent soaking, but all to no avail. The numbers are like something out of a horror film... Suggestions?
~elijah

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, so I have a collection of orchids, aristolochia, and jade bonsai in a 6x8 greenhouse. I can't seem to dissuade the ants from the delicious sap on my orchids. I have tried garden friendly powders, traps, cinnamon, and frequent soaking, but all to no avail. The numbers are like something out of a horror film... Suggestions?
~elijah

No matter how much I would love for it to be otherwise
there are times that a more "chemical" remedy must be
taken.
Nuke 'em.

Elijahhlangford

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No matter how much I would love for it to be otherwise
there are times that a more "chemical" remedy must be
taken.
Nuke 'em.
What would you suggest I use? Will it get them out of the substrate in the pots without hurting the plants? Im so anxious to get them out-- ugh... They have begun to nest in the bark mixes in my orchid pots now... Little jerks lol

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Find the next; I supect that they have invaded one of your Orchids. Once you locate the nest spray it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There are aerosol sprays that are specifically for ants. Any spray with a Pyrethrin base will take them out but; I am not sure how they may harm some of your plants. This is something you should take up with the nursery where you buy this kind of thing and then when having questions call the 1-800 number and ask them about your problem, they'll take to you. But if you can find and kill the nest the problem is solved, believe me they are right under you nose in on of the pots, probably one of the orchids with chopped wood.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Look to the pots ---- into the Orchid pots with the bark soil medium. You are going to be surprised.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
Fighting ants in Taiwan is like fighting oxygen in the air.

I put the small pellets down that they can carry into their nests and feed the colony with. When laid down along an ant highway, I sometimes get a little time out from them. Suppose that is why plants here grow so fast - to keep up with that.

As Vance said, find a way to get to the nest and you are on your way to something resembling success.

I can't give a brand as all the brands I use only have Chinese names.

Elijahhlangford

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Find the next; I supect that they have invaded one of your Orchids. Once you locate the nest spray it.
You were right! They were nesting in 4 pots! My oncidiums, trichocentrum, microchyllum, and my cattleyas! (All with cedar bark substrate) ... So I put some bait killer down and sprayed the substrate with the big guns and flooded the floor with water to roust them out... If that doesn't do it, I'm gonna open up an ant restaurant. :/

~Elijah

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now about your aphid problem...Yeah, you probably have an aphid problem. Ants are literally aphid farmers.

Top Bottom