any advice for styling my hinoki cypress?

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I recently purchased this plant and I imagine it to be a hinoki cypress. I don't have any plants of this size and I haven't had much experience with conifers and I was told that this species is not the most recommended for beginners. So I wanted some design tips and suggestions for the tree, for example, which branches to cut or wire, position of branches, how long to reduce the tree and things like that. Below are images of the plant.
20211213_100911.jpg
20211213_100908.jpg

I also thought about doing an air layering on the circled branch. Do you know if this species accepts the technique?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like some type of thuja to me! I would say definitely not hinoki but will let others chime in :)

Reaction score
I recently purchased this plant and I imagine it to be a hinoki cypress. I don't have any plants of this size and I haven't had much experience with conifers and I was told that this species is not the most recommended for beginners. So I wanted some design tips and suggestions for the tree, for example, which branches to cut or wire, position of branches, how long to reduce the tree and things like that. Below are images of the plant.
View attachment 412185
View attachment 412186

I also thought about doing an air layering on the circled branch. Do you know if this species accepts the technique?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!
Definitely a Platycladus - rather difficult specimens to work with but can eventually become very rewarding ! Mine took about 7 years to develop and refine but I still can't figure out how to get the "limp" branches to grow upright in its natural form

Responds well to air layering but growth is on the slow side

Attachments

• 20230829_154137.jpg
    20230829_154137.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 24
Top Bottom