Any advice on over wintering a trident and a field maple?

Brim Gribley

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
Both trees are on the way from California (Brent at Evergreen) to New York( zone 7a). I would like to cut the trees either directly in the ground or a wooden training box but I’m worried about the roots. I am open for any and all suggestions. I have dealt with green acer palmatum before but both these species are new to me.
Thank you!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello,
Both trees are on the way from California (Brent at Evergreen) to New York( zone 7a). I would like to cut the trees either directly in the ground or a wooden training box but I’m worried about the roots. I am open for any and all suggestions. I have dealt with green acer palmatum before but both these species are new to me.
Thank you!

The trident should be treated the same as your regular Japanese maple.

I am not familiar with field maple because I've never grown one. If their requirements are similar to trident and Japanese maples you can treat them the same as well.

I am a little east of you out on Long Island.
I put my trident and Japanese maples in a cold frame along the north side of my house
They've done this for years with no issues

Brim Gribley

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing! Thank you paradox, You have definitely eased my mind.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I heeled my trident sapling in the ground last winter with a couple inches of mulch and a burlap wind screen. It survived its first winter in my care.

Brim Gribley

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I heeled my trident sapling in the ground last winter with a couple inches of mulch and a burlap wind screen. It survived its first winter in my care.
Oh that’s great news, how big was the sapling when you put it in? If you are in Michigan then doing the same should be fine, thank you!

Brim Gribley

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good! Are you keeping it in a mostly pumice mix?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Congratulations on your new purchase!

The only thing I concern myself with overwintering maples has to do with Tridents, especially in pots. Their roots do not like to come out of dormancy, then get exposed later to freezing temperature. Cold frame would be good if you have one.

Otherwise In the ground… I just stick em in and perhaps check them twice all winter. Mostly out of boredom!

cheers
DSD sends

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Field maples (Acer campestre) are more cold-hardy than tridents. Here in the UK most people I know would give tridents a bit of shelter over the winter but just leave the field maples out on the benches. If you treat the field maple the same way as your trident, it should be absolutely fine.

Brim Gribley

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you so much for the info! I will put both in the ground.

Brim Gribley

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congratulations on your new purchase!

The only thing I concern myself with overwintering maples has to do with Tridents, especially in pots. Their roots do not like to come out of dormancy, then get exposed later to freezing temperature. Cold frame would be good if you have one.

Otherwise In the ground… I just stick em in and perhaps check them twice all winter. Mostly out of boredom!

cheers
DSD sends
Thanks! I am very excited about these maples. Can’t wait for the journey to begin.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
Thank you!
Don't worry, Be happy😌.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It’s gorgeous! How did you go about developing?
From a 2 leafed seedling I collected on a grass verge. It's taken 31 years with many of those bombing away in the ground. Wooden board then tiles used for nebari development. In training for 7 or 8 seasons now to hang a branch structure on it.

Brim Gribley

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From a 2 leafed seedling I collected on a grass verge. It's taken 31 years with many of those bombing away in the ground. Wooden board then tiles used for nebari development. In training for 7 or 8 seasons now to hang a branch structure on it.
Thank you!

Top Bottom