Any advice on this newly collected Red Maple!!

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is actually my first post on here. Been doing Bonsai about 2 years now and have about 50+ trees. Have learned a lot in a short period of time... my question is about this newly collected Red Maple. I know it's really late in the year to collect here in New Jersey, but a friend of mine was digging up the yard for a pool and I need to take it now or it be garbage. I have collected a lot of trees in the past but never this large. Also once I seen the character in the trunk I New I must have it!!! Any advice on getting it to survive and stay healthy until root develope? It's in a decent soil, I let it soak in Superthrive for about 30mins before pitting. Any advice would be great!!! Hate to loose this guy!!! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3169.JPG
    IMG_3169.JPG
    327.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3170.JPG
    IMG_3170.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3171.JPG
    IMG_3171.JPG
    378.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3172.JPG
    IMG_3172.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3173.JPG
    IMG_3173.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 50

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Welcome, we are glad to have you aboard.
Jamie

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cant see what you had for roots but keep it still. don"t move around or you'll break off new roots easily. Been there...
Keep in shade or moderates sun and damp is what I got to offer. Better people than me for advice here.
You have to get them when opportunity knocks.
Welcome

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The tree cannot make roots without performing photosynthesis, but leaves transpire. The rate of water lost from the leaves to the surrounding air depends upon the logarithm of the relative humidity; i.e., if the relative humidity is 100%, the loss is zero (0).

Pathogenic fungi tend to thrive in conditions of humid still air. A solution made by adding 2 tablespoons 3% hydrogen peroxide in a quart of water is an effective, eco-friendly broad-spectrum fungicide.

Terrarium/humidity-tent.

In direct sun a terrarium is a solar powered oven.

Surely you know what to do ;)

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey welcome, glad your using this species. I'm excited to see what us east coasters can do with these. This tree seems just about bullet proof in my experience. You aren't too far away from me so I'm assuming it'll grow like a weed in your area too. Leaf internodes and size are tricky here but i Know @sorce has something in genus acer that he managed to .." condense?" Sonething like... 11 buds on one inch of twig. that's bonsai gold if you use it right

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! Yeah I'm told by other guys to keep in dappled light for the rest of the season. If it grows back crazy quickly then invite it to morning light slowly. So basically what I have done to most of my other collected trees. Baby steps and TLC. I was so in shock finding a tree with a trunk like this!! My local bonsai nursey guy and another bonsai friend that don't even know each other both said that "if I can get this healthy and maintain it that it could easily be a $1,000 collected tree". I'm not selling it or plan on it, but to have mature tree with such character is awesome!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can The hole be any more storybook!?

Nice!

Welcome to Crazy BonsaiKev !

I didn't get you yet? Name sounds familiar!

Anyway @GGB

Ma Nache did that to that Acer Ginnala, Arctic Trident...
I can't Take credit for that!

Sorce

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
oops, that's what I get for skimming this site while at work.
Did notice a lot of the red maples in my town have dark brown/black spots on the leaves this spring. Because it's so wide spread ima say ... cold damage? Either that or red maple is about to go the way of the american elm and eastern hemlock

Top Bottom