Any advice or commentary on my japanese yew

Bonsaipadawan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I bought this yew online did a prune and styling a few days sgo then repot today. What do you all think about it any tips for future styling/ survival of the tree?

Attachments

• 20220321_180851.jpg
    20220321_180851.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_2491.JPG
    DSC_2491.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_2499.JPG
    DSC_2499.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_2512.JPG
    DSC_2512.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: Ugo

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You need to start working on the styling of the tree. The best thing you can do is to remove all growth that grows down from the underside of the branches. The idea is to create layered branch pads. It takes time but this is how it starts.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
You did put it in a deep pot so you have that going for you. At the same time, it is on the small side. What are you’re future plans for the tree?

Bonsaipadawan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You need to start working on the styling of the tree. The best thing you can do is to remove all growth that grows down from the underside of the branches. The idea is to create layered branch pads. It takes time but this is how it starts.
Okay so remove all the downward growth. Got it thanks. I did some intense pruning already so I'll probaly wait to do anymore.

Bonsaipadawan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You did put it in a deep pot so you have that going for you. At the same time, it is on the small side. What are you’re future plans for the tree?
I am honestly not too sure. At the moment it's to keep it alive. I do think I'll keep it relatively small. I am quite new to bonsai so as far as plans go for some of my trees I am kind of lost as what to do. Sometimes I feel like I know exactly what I want for the future of a tree but as of now that's kind of rare.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Okay so remove all the downward growth. Got it thanks. I did some intense pruning already so I'll probaly wait to do anymore.
To me, it looks like you’ve done the right amount of pruning in one go.

I like it. Excited to see its progression.

Bonsaipadawan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
To me, it looks like you’ve done the right amount of pruning in one go.

I like it. Excited to see its progression.
Thanks! I'll have to update this thread at the end of the season to show its growth

Top Bottom