Any bench builders out there?

symbiotic1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I see from time to time on here people who build their own display benches for their trees. I'm in the process if putting together a simple tiered redwood bench with some stair risers and I'm curious what finishes people have used on these to seal the wood against instant damage from watering trees and being outside. Do I go for something like a deck stain/sealant? Or do I go for a marine sealant? Any recommendations on products that seem to stand up well would be greatly appreciated!

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I see from time to time on here people who build their own display benches for their trees. I'm in the process if putting together a simple tiered redwood bench with some stair risers and I'm curious what finishes people have used on these to seal the wood against instant damage from watering trees and being outside. Do I go for something like a deck stain/sealant? Or do I go for a marine sealant? Any recommendations on products that seem to stand up well would be greatly appreciated!

No real bench but I use a marine varnish on the wood planks I use.Water beads on the surface Either product protects.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I use PT wood for the parts that go in the ground and the cedar for the horizontal board where the tree's sit on. I wait for everything to dry out then I use deck sealer on the PT wood and a clear sealer on the cedar. I then use lag bolts to hold everything together. I'll take some pics tonight when I get home.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
I use PT wood for the parts that go in the ground and the cedar for the horizontal board where the tree's sit on. I wait for everything to dry out then I use deck sealer on the PT wood and a clear sealer on the cedar. I then use lag bolts to hold everything together. I'll take some pics tonight when I get home.

Gotta say, the marine varnish is the best.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use teak/hardwood oil on my benches - the shelves themselves are made of Bankirai.

A number of people have built benches based on my plans and used various finishes; you can see them all at the end of this album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/norbury/sets/72157617697509234/

We get too much rain here to try and seal the wood - so it depends where you live, very much.

I have free plans if you want them.

symbiotic1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's seeming like marine varnish/sealant is the most popular suggestion so far. I don't want to have to worry about taking all my trees off the bench to water them. Any particular brand people have experience with and like? I know a past thread mentioned Waterlox but are there any others to consider?

@jeremy - I was initially thinking to use teak oil or one of the teak/tung or oil/akryll blends out there but the more I read about using it oudoors the more I was under the impression that using solely an oil to protect the wood didnt give much protection against mold/mildew. Most of the oil/akryll and other sealants seem to have a fungicide In them. Do you find that's the case?

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I always thought that redwood has natural moisture resistance properties, like cedar, and about the most you would want to do is oil it. I may be thinking of a different type of wood, but something out there has enough natural oils in it that it would resist varnish or hardening coatings like that.

symbiotic1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It does have some resistance and it gets stronger the deeper red (and thus more in the heartwood) the wood is and the older the tree. But the price then goes up too with that.

Another question to tack on to my last post: Does just oiling it help delay greying? It would be nice to somehow keep the great color of the wood intact as long as possible.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
...the shelves themselves are made of Bankirai.

I have free plans if you want them.

It looks like you're using grooved deck boards? Won't they hold even more water or do they shed better? I've thought about using composite boards for my next bench but I'm just not sure. (appreciate the use of your plans)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's seeming like marine varnish/sealant is the most popular suggestion so far. I don't want to have to worry about taking all my trees off the bench to water them. Any particular brand people have experience with and like? I know a past thread mentioned Waterlox but are there any others to consider?

@jeremy - I was initially thinking to use teak oil or one of the teak/tung or oil/akryll blends out there but the more I read about using it oudoors the more I was under the impression that using solely an oil to protect the wood didnt give much protection against mold/mildew. Most of the oil/akryll and other sealants seem to have a fungicide In them. Do you find that's the case?

I've had neither mildew nor mold. I only put oil on every couple of years or so. I need to high-pressure hose it down and do it again this year, but I do get up there every year and brush all the crap off.

11372917183_2bd6b775c3_b.jpg

They use this very same material for decking - and that's not usually treated at all.

Here's a link to my plans: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D128DFCE35A0FD6E!444&authkey=!AGlvJqCy8rYQ4Ng&ithint=file,pdf

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's seeming like marine varnish/sealant is the most popular suggestion so far. I don't want to have to worry about taking all my trees off the bench to water them. Any particular brand people have experience with and like?

I've always just used the Minwax spar urethane. There are superior spars but they get quite pricey.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It looks like you're using grooved deck boards? Won't they hold even more water or do they shed better? I've thought about using composite boards for my next bench but I'm just not sure. (appreciate the use of your plans)

Yeah - they get soaking wet every day - doesn't seem to bother them. I built them 6 years ago and I can still walk on them. I occasionally walk round and tighten all the bolts up. Had to wedge up one of the corners this winter after the ground subsided a couple of inches, but that's about it.

I had considered the composite decking material - and I still think it's probably a good idea. The hardwood decking turned out to be cheaper.

Bench plans are here:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D128DFCE35A0FD6E!444&authkey=!AGlvJqCy8rYQ4Ng&ithint=file,pdf

symbiotic1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is the bench so far. It's all in place, sanded and assembled but I might put some extra metal corner bracing in and the planks are not attached yet awaiting the finish coat. :cool:
image.jpgimage.jpg

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Using varnish (marine or spar or any kind) on horizontal decking that is outside and is splashed with water daily and rained on etc. does not work and when it starts failing, and it will shortly in most climates, is a real mess.
What one uses to preserve exterior wood like this is dependent on the type of wood. Most exterior benches are built from weather resistant woods like redwood, cedar, or pressure treated wood or tropical hardwood and do not require any applied finish--but some finishes can make them look more homogeneous and can add to their longevity. As a life time builder I have observed the varying trends over the years and most deck stains and sealers don't really add to the life of the decking much at all --choice of materiel seems to be the key element.
Basically you have penetrating deck sealers that soak in and and last a year or two, maybe a little longer; Penetrating preservatives like Copper Naphthenate or Jasco copper brown wood preservative that treat the wood to resist rotting rather than try to seal it from moisture; penetrating stains/sealers like cabots; and lastly film formers like pigmented stains, paints etc.
I have given up completely on any film forming product for a deck or something like a bonzo bench. Penetrating stains or deck sealers need such frequent reapplication I find people never actually do it--this leaves me to recommend, if you chose to slop on something to make it last longer I would go with a real penetrating preservative like Jasco copper brown wood or the like. Oh and tropical hardwood really does not ever need finishing and lasts and lasts but it is pretty darned spendy.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have used Cabot Australian Timber oil. Nice natural look and provides good protection.

symbiotic1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks! Right now my workspace situation for projects like this is far less than ideal. In all I'd say a good part of a day's work broken up over two days. I made it easier on myself though by making paper templates to align the screw holes since I didn't have access to a big table to clamp it all in place before drilling. I'm letting it adjust to being outside a few days then gonna finish it at the end of the week.

nip

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Using varnish (marine or spar or any kind) on horizontal decking that is outside and is splashed with water daily and rained on etc. does not work and when it starts failing, and it will shortly in most climates, is a real mess.
What one uses to preserve exterior wood like this is dependent on the type of wood. Most exterior benches are built from weather resistant woods like redwood, cedar, or pressure treated wood or tropical hardwood and do not require any applied finish--but some finishes can make them look more homogeneous and can add to their longevity. As a life time builder I have observed the varying trends over the years and most deck stains and sealers don't really add to the life of the decking much at all --choice of materiel seems to be the key element...

Crust is correct. I've grown up around old wooden boats and even the best varnish must be reapplied frequently, otherwise things get ugly and require replacement or major repair. In the long run, when you add up the cost of materials, a well-built 'expensive' bench will outlast two or three made with cheap materials. Making it cheaper in the long run (and better looking). Learned that the hard way when I made my first bench with cedar.

symbiotic1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Crust is correct. I've grown up around old wooden boats and even the best varnish must be reapplied frequently, otherwise things get ugly and require replacement or major repair. In the long run, when you add up the cost of materials, a well-built 'expensive' bench will outlast two or three made with cheap materials. Making it cheaper in the long run (and better looking). Learned that the hard way when I made my first bench with cedar.

I agree. Would you use any kind of finishing product then if it were you making it, if anything to help it retain its red color longer?

Top Bottom