Any examples of Pitch pine/ Pinus rigida?

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I was in Cape Cod last week and saw some amazing pitch pines growing in the dunes and all over. Some really wonderful shapes, rugged bark and the foliage looked so healthy and full. It was like walk through a forest of literati trees. I noticed that they look liked they bud back on old wood, so was thinking that it would be a great species for bonsai. I was hoping some one in the northeast might have so great examples of the species. Would love to see some if they are out there.

A11354C7-C74A-478C-93BA-BF8024D90DA5.jpeg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have any of the National Exhibition books - they show up occasionally in the show. They are known as very prolific back-budders even on old trunks. I purchased one at the National Show last fall, it is doing well but not styled yet (only collected a few months before I got it so I've let it establish for a year).

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On paper they sound great, but there definetly isn't a lot on the bonsai scene. I don't think they can perform as well as a JBP, but if people want to grow local it is a good one to try. I have one I planted in my garden, it is a nice twisty tree.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Go for it!
I actually have a very hard time with JBP because they just don't seem to do well in my garden. Not in full soil, not in pots, not in bonsai pots, not in collanders either.. I always giggle when people compare pines with JBP, because for me they're the shittiest pine I've ever encountered.
I have ponderosa, jack pine, JRP, Scots, mugo, halepensis, nigra, strobus and even bristlecones doing better than JBP. I'm sure it's my lack of skill. But when given the choice, I'd take any other pine over JBP. On paper, JBP is great.

I'm going to get myself some pitch pines. The yellow foliage might not be attractive enough for bonsai, but this picture from the Brooklyn botanic garden shows it can be done.
https://flic.kr/p/99boG1

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was in Cape Cod last week and saw some amazing pitch pines growing in the dunes and all over. Some really wonderful shapes, rugged bark and the foliage looked so healthy and full. It was like walk through a forest of literati trees. I noticed that they look liked they bud back on old wood, so was thinking that it would be a great species for bonsai. I was hoping some one in the northeast might have so great examples of the species. Would love to see some if they are out there.

View attachment 263734
They used to be quite common as bonsai material. I think the problem these days is no one is collecting them (and I think the trees you saw on Cape Cod are most likely protected from collection, etc). Nick Lenz has an entire chapter on the species in "bonsai from the wild" if I remember correctly. I think he dug the one below for Dan Robinson

Here's a photo of another Nick Lenz Pitch pine that I stole from the Art Of Bonsai site --http://artofbonsai.org/galleries/lenz.php--

pitchpinelenzartofbonsai.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6marty.jpg

Bonsai Bark photo, believe was from 2018 National exhibition. Photo from Candy Shirey.

Marty Klein from Andover Massachusetts.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Going to try to remember to take a pic for you today. It’s a great example of why I don’t grow them. Those damn basal sprouts that ruined all mine

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is one I posted. It was a local yamadori that Jan Culek did an initial style on for our club meeting two weeks ago at Nature's Way.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey @choppychoppy , did you get a pic of Bjorn’s pitch pine this weekend? Very cool. Also, it double flushed just like a JBP, at least for him in Nashville.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nick Lenz has an entire chapter on the species in "bonsai from the wild" if I remember correctly. I think he dug the one below for Dan Robinson
Rock, if I'm not mistaken Dan's Pitch Pine was collected by Frank Heidt

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think a big factor is that most places where you can find awesome pitch pines for collecting in the east, they are off limits to collecting. We don’t have much federal lands out here and state parks are usually much more strict. I found this spot in the Catskills, on top of a mountain there was this little plateau just blanketed it amazing yamadori pitch pine. Can’t touch em though.
I think these were pitch pine...

C53D476A-D929-4F49-A705-315C30679831.jpeg6AD89C34-ADF9-4DF7-AE57-932A73A675B7.jpegF8A91E40-6413-45EA-9DEB-4E42696B028E.jpeg
All the green is just thousands of stunted pitch pine.
F1E691F5-C885-4467-82B7-4625322E4526.jpeg

C53D476A-D929-4F49-A705-315C30679831.jpeg6AD89C34-ADF9-4DF7-AE57-932A73A675B7.jpegF8A91E40-6413-45EA-9DEB-4E42696B028E.jpegF1E691F5-C885-4467-82B7-4625322E4526.jpeg

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have about six, and I love the species! The only real PITA to me is that you need to constantly rub off buds on the trunk if you want energy/ramification directed to the top. Also, the "yellowish" foliage is only if the tree is weak, it goes to a minty green when the tree is happy. I just updated this thread on one that I am moving forward over time.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The crazy bent over one with the baby tree at the base? That thing was so cool. I didn't but Chris did. I'll get it and put it up.

They are multi-flush pines, I get two flushes in NJ as well. I would love to see a picture if anyone has one!!!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
They used to be quite common as bonsai material. I think the problem these days is no one is collecting them (and I think the trees you saw on Cape Cod are most likely protected from collection, etc). Nick Lenz has an entire chapter on the species in "bonsai from the wild" if I remember correctly. I think he dug the one below for Dan Robinson

Here's a photo of another Nick Lenz Pitch pine that I stole from the Art Of Bonsai site --http://artofbonsai.org/galleries/lenz.php--

View attachment 263830
It’s not nobody is collecting them, it’s .... you can’t!!! All areas are protected unless a permit comes through to collect , you have to JWP where Barren areas are in the east that aren’t protected , or get permission and keep track of game commission controlled burns because they work with barren habitats

Top Bottom