Any examples of Pitch pine/ Pinus rigida?

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m in southern nj by the coast. Are these the pines I see everywhere around me?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah . In ocean county. I always see good and better trees then people have that are hundreds of dollars . I might start collecting
Yeah but you gotta be careful with a) protected land , b) deep tap roots , probably best to find pitch pines that are on a more rocky surface on rocks or small knolls because the roots will reach far down not leaving compact roots, and when you collect you’ll have to retail a lot of that sandy soil that will be quickly falling out.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah but you gotta be careful with a) protected land , b) deep tap roots , probably best to find pitch pines that are on a more rocky surface on rocks or small knolls because the roots will reach far down not leaving compact roots, and when you collect you’ll have to retail a lot of that sandy soil that will be quickly falling out.

There are no rocks here in the pine barrens. We do have lots of sand lol. I know some people are revealing trunk area and putting mulch around the base. They come back in a year or two after plant sends more roots around the base. One way to combat the lack of feeder roots near the surface. After watching videos from Asia where they collect conifers it makes me more optimistic on collecting. They really just rip them out of ground, spray roots with water, put in a plastic bag and then transplant when they get back home. Am I missing something, or they having low success rates on their yomadori?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There are no rocks here in the pine barrens. We do have lots of sand lol. I know some people are revealing trunk area and putting mulch around the base. They come back in a year or two after plant sends more roots around the base. One way to combat the lack of feeder roots near the surface. After watching videos from Asia where they collect conifers it makes me more optimistic on collecting. They really just rip them out of ground, spray roots with water, put in a plastic bag and then transplant when they get back home. Am I missing something, or they having low success rates on their yomadori?
Was the video showing the collection ,and their update after collecting a year later? I doubt many of those survive ….. When you collect conifers you need to retain as much native soil as possible because the roots require beneficial mycorrhiza. Sandy soil while will have mycorrhiza, will be difficult because you can’t just rip it out of the ground , you won’t have any fine feeder roots or enough roots in soil that make a successful collection. The sandy soil doesn’t allow of pockets of roots to grow together , which is why a lot of collected conifers are found in pockets on mountain sides or rocky surfaces because the roots are already in a compacted state. I’m sure it can be done but you need as much undisturbed roots as possible digging from the sand , and in a located that doesn’t have a deep tap root. It also allows for better survival, the container to fit the roots would eventually lead to death from root rot being that the tree is already in a weakened state.

Last edited:

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m in southern nj by the coast. Are these the pines I see everywhere around me?
I am also in South Jersey and have been marveling these trees for a long time many of what you see Are Pitch Pine but we also have tons of them scrub Pine and Virginia pine which honestly from what I've seen in nature can all be equal candidates

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am also in South Jersey and have been marveling these trees for a long time many of what you see Are Pitch Pine but we also have tons of them scrub Pine and Virginia pine which honestly from what I've seen in nature can all be equal candidates
Virginia pine is scrub pine

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So how do you tell one from another? I have done little work with conifers. I have always grown deciduous, but conifers are really catching my eye lately.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So how do you tell one from another? I have done little work with conifers. I have always grown deciduous, but conifers are really catching my eye lately.
Pitch pine needles are in groups of three.. Virginia pine needles are groups of two and are twisted. Pitch Pine is more desirable because they can back bud and multi flush reliably. I also have a shortleaf pine that back buds as well. This article helps https://bonsaitonight.com/2020/08/07/which-pine-species-can-i-decandle/

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So are pitch pine the same as scrub pine?

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No scrub pine is Virginia pine. Pitch Pine is not scrub pine nor Virginia Pine. Pitch Pine has 3 needles (multi flush) , Virginia pine has 2 needles
So what your saying is scrub pine has two needles. 😂

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Virginia pine is scrub pine
This is true
I worked for a tree service company for many years and even then those name get thrown around interchangeable ..i should know..my old boss would be frowning rigjt now

Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Pitch 3 strikes ur out..memory tool i recall
My mission is to blow pitch pines up big time in the bonsai world… kinda like how Ponderosa is so well renown… along w other native conifers… east is best known for deciduous but we still have cool pines and conifers here too! There are more prominent professionals that have pitch pines but I still think there its still untapped along w the other northeast /east coast pines

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My mission is to blow pitch pines up big time in the bonsai world… kinda like how Ponderosa is so well renown… along w other native conifers… east is best known for deciduous but we still have cool pines and conifers here too! There are more prominent professionals that have pitch pines but I still think there its still untapped along w the other northeast /east coast pines

There have been quite a few people that have dabbled with Pitch pines. Ive seen more than one displayed at the Mid Atlantic Bonsai Society Show for a few of the years

Top Bottom