Any examples of Pitch pine/ Pinus rigida?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
They used to be quite common as bonsai material. I think the problem these days is no one is collecting them (and I think the trees you saw on Cape Cod are most likely protected from collection, etc). Nick Lenz has an entire chapter on the species in "bonsai from the wild" if I remember correctly. I think he dug the one below for Dan Robinson

Here's a photo of another Nick Lenz Pitch pine that I stole from the Art Of Bonsai site --http://artofbonsai.org/galleries/lenz.php--

View attachment 263830
these are all around me, southcoast MA. thanks for the nudge on supply and demand, i hope to get a good 5 of them going next season. i had two but killed them by sharing container
for them.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It’s not nobody is collecting them, it’s .... you can’t!!! All areas are protected unless a permit comes through to collect , you have to JWP where Barren areas are in the east that aren’t protected , or get permission and keep track of game commission controlled burns because they work with barren habitats
i live in this area and see them daily. tons on cape cod. im 45 mins from the cape but clusters of them out my way/horseneck beach.
also, i have permission behind my work to get a bunch of them next season, my coworker already did get two a few weeks ago. i told him id rather just wait until around march to collect them because id rather not risk them taking to a container before our frost in a week from now.

ill keep you all posted and perhaps even get a bunch of small ones to take care of and sell/trade on here or w.e.

MA is tight w the virtue signalling and bs regulation, so they are on a lot of illegal areas to take them. couldnt find any on my direct property but my
work has them :)

they are beautiful trees and will be great bonsai if given the chance

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’ll snap a few pics on Friday. The nursery has a handful of big ones and a few saplings. I have noticed that nearly every example pictured has a second trunk at the base. I also notice at the nursery that the pitch pines that aren’t ruined by basal sprouts seem to either have a second trunk or a few basal sprouts that got long. I don’t know if that second trunk is what stops the pine from constantly pushing buds, but my theory is that it does. Meaning, if I was going to try this species again I would let one basal bud become a daughter trunk to (hopefully) stop the tree from continuously swelling and growing an ugly inverse lump around the trunk. Or maybe seedling cuttings would just eliminate that part of the tree.....

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
these are a bit inland which you can see in their shape, but heres what im allowed to take from, whenever i want
View attachment 333233
View attachment 333234
View attachment 333235

these are my coworkers pics and trees
Nice dude... I’m awaiting permit for collection in PA up in the Pocono area.. lots of barrens on mountian tops and on game land... gotta be sure to wear a orange vest in there lol

Last edited:

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
’ll snap a few pics on Friday. The nursery has a handful of big ones and a few saplings.
I've looked for these at nurseries, but never see them. Where is the nursery you are referring to?
I'm growing some from seeds that I stole collected from roadside trees.
CW

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@CWTurner Nature's way Bonsai nursery in Harrisburg, PA has the large collected specimens. There's another nursery called "edge of the woods" somewhere in PA, that sells pitch pine too but I pretty much stopped snooping around non-bonsai nurserys. A member on here ... cannot remember his name... is also happy to sell some of his pitch pines, grown from seed. I'm not sure if he still uses this site

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@CWTurner Nature's way Bonsai nursery in Harrisburg, PA has the large collected specimens. There's another nursery called "edge of the woods" somewhere in PA, that sells pitch pine too but I pretty much stopped snooping around non-bonsai nurserys. A member on here ... cannot remember his name... is also happy to sell some of his pitch pines, grown from seed. I'm not sure if he still uses this site
sylvan nursery in westport MA has 4' pitch pines and im sure they ship. theyre commercial mostly

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh yeah @CWTurner if you're in philly area you aren't too far from All Shapes Bonsai in NJ, he also sells them. His are just young whatever trees, but if that's what you're after check them out.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow, I knew these pics weren’t going to look good when I took them, but they are brutally bad now that I see them. I was In a rush and the sun was low. 3 or the 4 pictured are over 3 feet. All very rough prebonsai. Didn’t photograph the completely unstyled ones

Attachments

• 2C354B41-B3FF-4E4D-9D40-6B169F0476FD.jpeg
    2C354B41-B3FF-4E4D-9D40-6B169F0476FD.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 4D5CAE2A-951E-4010-BCA0-243B8706316C.jpeg
    4D5CAE2A-951E-4010-BCA0-243B8706316C.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 865A95EE-D293-4CC1-AEDF-C81E918B84B2.jpeg
    865A95EE-D293-4CC1-AEDF-C81E918B84B2.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 4626EFAB-71B6-4203-9668-15005139D159.jpeg
    4626EFAB-71B6-4203-9668-15005139D159.jpeg
    437.8 KB · Views: 103

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, I knew these pics weren’t going to look good when I took them, but they are brutally bad now that I see them. I was In a rush and the sun was low. 3 or the 4 pictured are over 3 feet. All very rough prebonsai. Didn’t photograph the completely unstyled ones
Is that at Natures Way?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Read these were good at fall transplants w 50 and 60 degree temps. Didnt get great rootballs just like golf ball sized so I hope they take. Will put some in ground if they live eventually

Attachments

• 20201011_084519.jpg
    20201011_084519.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 95

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice photo of your dog taking a crap. Have you noticed, dogs tend to orientate north south when crapping? Watch your dog, more often than not it will be with its body orientated north-south. Nobody is sure why, just happens. Of course occasionally the dog will do east-west, but more often north-south.

At least with my dogs, head-tails, they seem to be 50:50 whether the head is pointing north.

More reliable compass than moss growing on the north side of a tree.

But maybe not a particularly useful factoid.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Nice photo of your dog taking a crap. Have you noticed, dogs tend to orientate north south when crapping? Watch your dog, more often than not it will be with its body orientated north-south. Nobody is sure why, just happens. Of course occasionally the dog will do east-west, but more often north-south.

At least with my dogs, head-tails, they seem to be 50:50 whether the head is pointing north.

More reliable compass than moss growing on the north side of a tree.

But maybe not a particularly useful factoid.
"...theres beauty all around us, those who dont believe in magic will never find it" (Raul Dahl i believe, my fav old author)

Top Bottom