Any experience with black mangrove (Avicennia germinans)?

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
I've had a black mangrove seedling growing in a brackish-shoreline-habitat aquarium for almost a year now, topping and pruning lightly. Just last week I decided to start wiring it, and since I'm an amateur at this, figured it's a good time to seek some advice/feedback.

I practiced simple bonsai techniques for a few years in college (over a decade ago), but after my MIL killed my beloved 5 year old bald cypress during a cross-country move, I gave up the hobby for awhile. So I have a fuzzy recollection of all the basic principles, but not much more than that.

Here's a photo from today:
IMG_20161126_000108.jpg

The tree is growing in a pocket of mineral mud within a tank that's otherwise a sand and gravel substrate. Here's a thread focused on the aquarium aspect, with some photos from throughout its life so far:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/983890-brackish-lagoon-shoreline-20-gal-long.html

So, does anyone have tips for this species? I know that they dwarf easily and commonly in nature (on limestone outcroppings, for example), but I haven't seen any bonsai specimens. I was just on vacation in the FL Keys, actually, and saw this waist-height dwarfed black mangrove growing on what appeared to be near-solid limestone, which I photographed for inspiration:

IMG_20161125_102147.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Next time count the amount of branches and branchlets, and look at the leaf density.
Then try and see if you can achieve that in a pot.
That's how you start the tests for Bonsai quality.

Also look at the shrubs, you may get a pleasant surprise.
Try a seagrape from seed, you won't be disappointed.
Below is an Oxy [ for short ] and it is a sea side and sea swamp dweller.

Found as a 3" stump, and test growing for a few years.
The second image shows how it- could - flower, as the flowers are like white stars.
About 12 inches tall/
Good Luck.
Good Day
Anthony

oxy (2).jpg

oxy defoliated IBC.jpg

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks! I've seen a few red mangrove specimens like that (though not that particular one), but black mangroves have a very different growth habit so I'm not sure how much I can borrow from people's experience with the red species. For example, black mangrove doesn't form prop roots, tends to grow on higher (only partially submerged) ground, and has smaller leaves, each of which may change a lot the desired characteristics of a bonsai specimen.

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
Next time count the amount of branches and branchlets, and look at the leaf density.
Then try and see if you can achieve that in a pot.
That's how you start the tests for Bonsai quality.

Also look at the shrubs, you may get a pleasant surprise.
Try a seagrape from seed, you won't be disappointed.
Below is an Oxy [ for short ] and it is a sea side and sea swamp dweller.

Found as a 3" stump, and test growing for a few years.
The second image shows how it- could - flower, as the flowers are like white stars.
About 12 inches tall/
Good Luck.
Good Day
Anthony

View attachment 124228

View attachment 124233

Great tips! I do plan to do a seagrape at some point, actually, though I have a pile of holywood lignum vitae seeds that will be my next project first (separate thread in this subforum).

For the black mangrove, I'm planning for it to be fairly large (~2 ft tall, maybe 30" wide), and I get that it may not be an ideal bonsai specimen. However, it's a pretty ideal specimen for a partially-submerged coastline-mimicking brackish aquarium, so that's why I chose it.

As an aside, I'd also be curious if anyone has tips for getting a black mangrove to produce pneumatophores in an aquarium setting. I gather they are a reaction to anaerobic soil conditions, but I'm not sure how to achieve that while also keeping the water well-aerated for the fish inhabitants. Seems like the oxygenated water would seep into the substrate...

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On our side, it happens naturally, on our clay soils by the seaside, tonnes of aerial roots.
But I haven't seen any examples of the Black Mangrove in anyone's collection down here.

Lignum v. I suggest you look at some finished Bonsai via google.
Good Day
Anthony

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
Just thought I'd quickly share a couple new photos and a link to a public photo album that I will continue to periodically update on my progress with this black mangrove seedling and its enclosure:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nzOerURllXUNjkul1

Some day I hope this will be a centerpiece in a greenhouse, but since I don't yet have a greenhouse or anywhere to build one, that'll have to wait. My plan is to just kinda let it grow naturally but remove growing tips as needed to encourage it to branch out as much as possible. I'll decide how big to let it get as that progresses over the next few years.
IMG_20181015_085420.jpgIMG_20181015_085225.jpg

Top Bottom