Any experiences finding japanese maple seedlings in the wild?

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey folks!

So this is the first year I've wised up and started looking out for maple seedlings in the wild and I would really appreciate some insight :)

I'm in Missouri and there are lots of nice maples growing around these parts. I first noticed some seedlings starting to pop maybe a few weeks ago, and I've collected some here and there. But it kind of seems like I'm only finding red maple (Acer rubrum) and big leaf maple, or sugar maple (not really sure). I haven't actually seen any definitive Japanese maple seedlings unfortunately. I would know it if I saw one, wouldn't I? Adding to the confusion is the fact that I'm now seeing plenty of seedlings under some Japanese red maples, but still they all have green rounded lobes... so I'm not sure what to make of it lol.

So anyway my question is does it sound like I'm just early and the Japanese maples will start to appear later on? Do they start to appear in summer even, or not til early fall? I just don't wanna miss the opportunity!

Thanks all
Stay Figgy

Oh and I attached a pic of a few maples I rescued if it helps with identification! :)

Attachments

• 20220627_191407.jpg
    20220627_191407.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 34

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey folks!

So this is the first year I've wised up and started looking out for maple seedlings in the wild and I would really appreciate some insight :)

I'm in Missouri and there are lots of nice maples growing around these parts. I first noticed some seedlings starting to pop maybe a few weeks ago, and I've collected some here and there. But it kind of seems like I'm only finding red maple (Acer rubrum) and big leaf maple, or sugar maple (not really sure). I haven't actually seen any definitive Japanese maple seedlings unfortunately. I would know it if I saw one, wouldn't I? Adding to the confusion is the fact that I'm now seeing plenty of seedlings under some Japanese red maples, but still they all have green rounded lobes... so I'm not sure what to make of it lol.

So anyway my question is does it sound like I'm just early and the Japanese maples will start to appear later on? Do they start to appear in summer even, or not til early fall? I just don't wanna miss the opportunity!

Thanks all
Stay Figgy

Oh and I attached a pic of a few maples I rescued if it helps with identification! :)

Japanese maples generally don't "grow in the wild" in the US. I've found seedlings that grew from seeds that came from a neighbor's tree in my yard. So unless you have a neighbor whose tree drops seeds, it's going to be tough to fund them

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you have Japanese maples growing in your landscape, you will shortly have more Japanese maple seedlings than you know what to do with. However they are not naturalized here in the United States. In other words, you have to be around Japanese maples that someone brought in artificially... they don't occur here in the wild, at least not yet.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
F......I......G.......
PO.....PPA.......

No info......on the..... Seed.....Lee....Ang.

Welcome to Crazy!

I am convinced no maple is identifiable until at least 4 or 5 leaves grow out.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not clear what you're asking-- Japanese maples are called Japanese maples because they are native to Japan. They are not naturalized in the U.S. They don't grow in the wild in the U.S. They grow wild in the mountains of Japan.. Here, they are grown as ornamentals and mostly have to be intentionally planted. As said, if you have a Japanese Maple in a yard or a landscape, they will drop seed and seedlings will develop from those, but they will be located near a parent tree. You're not going to have much, if any, luck, finding them anywhere else but in a yard or some kind of human made landscape (office buildings, etc.). They don't appear any later than any other seedling--spring is the time they sprout from seed.

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Adding to the confusion is the fact that I'm now seeing plenty of seedlings under some Japanese red maples, but still they all have green rounded lobes... so I'm not sure what to make of it lol.

This indicates the OP does have Japanese maples as a seed source in which case there should be seeds germinating. The question is whether soil and climate conditions are suitable for those seedlings to stay alive long enough to recognize. Your location can have a big bearing on what happens when so adding a location to your personal profile helps a lot with getting good advice from other members here.
JM leaves are usually obvious as soon as real leaves open - within a few weeks from germination.
JM seed germinates in early spring as soon as the soil is warm enough. They should appear around the same time as other maples so keep looking.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As mentioned, should be able to tell ratty native maples from Japanese Maples pretty quick.

DSC01086.JPG DSC01087.JPG DSC01088.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In the US the best place to look would be under mature Japanese maple trees. Seedling identification is challenging before a couple mature leaves have pushed. Your mileage may vary due to genetic differences in offspring, but you probably know not to expect a clone of the parent.

You can also buy Japanese maple seeds from a grower or fellow bonsai enthusiast. Something I’d love to try, but I’m out of space as it is!

Top Bottom