Any experiments for 2016?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hee hee - under leaf mold, the fully decayed stuff is -- -compost ------- but I see the word - Humus - used because it is not man-made.

We have pine needle compost coming up for use with J.B.pines , with about 20% weeds to add in some other nurtrients.
Let you know if there is any big difference.
Good Day
Anthony
Anthony, there are huge differences between the types of humus formed in different ecosystems. In northern coniferous forests it tends to be very high carbon, low nitrogen, nice fibrous structure, very different stuff than you would dig out of your compost piles. I hope you have good results with your needle compost experiment.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Wireme, most excellent correction.

Just helped with 10 / 11 repottings first for K's traditional 2nd of Jan.
Of interest, one J.B.pine, had long roots, and tons of fine roots. Concrete pot, 5 mm silica based gravel, and compost.
Now we really want to know if Pine compost would do anything amazing.
Trying for a 2" plus trunk.

Also a swamp shrub, with roots as dense as an azalea. Now if we could only make it bloom. White small stars.
Now a week in dappled shade for rest and rejuvination.
Good Day
Anthony

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, I know I'm not supposed to say, "you're wrong".

Let me just say that in the video that I posted in the General Forum, he cut back just a couple days ago. If you notice exactly where he cut back: just above an upward pointing bud. The little part of the stem between the cut and the bud will die back, but not past the bud.

Late winter, early spring when the days are beginning to warm, but the nights are still cold is the signal to the tree that spring is nie, and start sending up sugar for spring growth. As Frary said, that's when they tap maples for syrup. The thing is, those trees are in the ground with unlimited roots. Our little trees aren't. We don't want to lose that energy. Let the tree seal off the dead portion between the cut and the bud over the winter. It's not too late. Spring is the wrong time to do it.

It is important to do a procedure at the right time.

Will your tree die if pruned at the wrong time? Probably not. But you would get better results if done at the right time.

Darlene, you stated "it's too late". No, not yet. I happen to know there was a significant freeze at the location that video was made a week before the video was made. Those trees are fully dormant when the cuts were made.

Please go and watch that video again. There are lots of nuggets of information in there that you may have missed.
You know if Boon lived and practiced in Zone 3 I would not question, significant freeze after that video? It's been between -10 to -20c for more than a month here by now and hits -30 or colder every year, like Frary I avoid fall pruning due to fears or dieback, especially with branch shedding early successional species like birch and willow that the video asked about. It may be unfounded I don't really know but climate may play a factor here. The video was good but didn't really cover the question as well as I hoped it would in terms of avoiding dieback on those types of species. I will try fall pruning on some developing trees next year.

What I have been doing (generally) is making cuts in spring one step further out than the desired location, longer internodes form on the outside, shorter ones inside then I cut to them after elongation stops.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, I know I'm not supposed to say, "you're wrong".
I'm not for my area.
You live in Georgia. Boon lives where? California?
What do you guys know about winter? Darlene lives south of me but can still see temps below zero. I'm supposed to see minus 4 Monday night.
Come on up,bring your cold hardiest tree or I'll sell you my amur and then I'll let you cut it. Then leave it here for the rest of the winter.
The roots are mulched in but the branches poke out of the snow. Willing to risk it?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm not for my area.
You live in Georgia. Boon lives where? California?
What do you guys know about winter? Darlene lives south of me but can still see temps below zero. I'm supposed to see minus 4 Monday night.
Come on up,bring your cold hardiest tree or I'll sell you my amur and then I'll let you cut it. Then leave it here for the rest of the winter.
The roots are mulched in but the branches poke out of the snow. Willing to risk it?

Shoot seen -26 without wind chill last winter. But even without that Arctic blast...we still get negative digits. That is my concern if we get an ice storm and lose power for a significant time frame. Means my controlled environment is going to have me learning new tricks. Am I scared...naaaa if it happens I'll get through it. Having newly trimmed trees under those conditions would worry me. Thanks Mike for voicing my concerns.

I spoke with one here who has the same species...he prunes end of winter/spring. I reckon I see no reason to not do the same with my winter temps...and understanding. Not saying it can't be done now...but proofs in the pudding it can be done at both times with success.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, do what you like. I'm not suggesting they go without winter protection.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'll be moving to a pumice/lava/pine bark mix this year, as opposed to the pumice/haydite/pine bark mix I've been using. The haydite particles I source are too small, adhere together, and retain too much water.

Also, no more organic fertilizers for me. I've been using organics and Miracle-Gro weekly, but the organics really muck up the soil. Going forward I'm using Osmocote a couple of times a year and Miracle-Gro weekly.

The common thread in both of these changes are too much water retention, leading to root rot, which has been a pervasive problem for me.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is for Smoke.
I also used Forest Humus. It is Fir bark. It works as well as pine bark.
1.png 2.png 3.png

And this is Orchid seedling pine bark (mini size)
8.png

I like fir and pine barks for their good smelling!
Bonhe

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Again...it's not that I don't have winter protection...it's past memories of losing power come winter from ice storms that tickle my memory. Hiccups outside of my control that also I figure into the picture. I try and factor in all scenarios...I've not come across that hiccup since wetting my feet in bonsai. But...it leerks in the back of my mind. To say other wise...I would be fooling myself. It's the reason my home is wired to an additional breaker panel for a generator. Which is maxed out...and the greenhouse is not factored into that breaker panel. I've a few tricks up my sleeve...but, never had to apply them to know how well they will work. So, that all factors into the equation...just another day up north...but, old man winter has throwed us a few curve balls...it pays to be on our toes and remember that.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know what you mean, I always throw a good handful in my thong! I still like the orchid bark for its more granular shape.
Very funny Smoke! ;)
I use fir bark for the small pot and pine bark for bigger pot due to their sizes.
Bonhe

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Choppy choppy. No fear!

Oh, Choppy Choppy better fear!

Bwahhahahahahah!

Hahahahaha!

I'm only kidding Choppy Chops!
A friendly Competition....

But for real.....

Bwahahahahahaha!

Sorce

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Late winter, early spring when the days are beginning to warm, but the nights are still cold is the signal to the tree that spring is nie, and start sending up sugar for spring growth.

If you are into scientific facts instead of mysticism you would know that amylase converts starch (stored in the vacuoles of living cells) back into sugars under these conditions. These conditions occur in the fall and again in the spring. There isn't any mechanism controlling amylase action that differentiates between spring and fall.

All temperate climate trees do it. Sugar is tree antifreeze. In the case of maples, much sugar also gets dumped into the xylem where osmosis of water then generates stem pressure. Pruning before (or well after) amylase does it thing doesn't cause 'bleeding'.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine all get winter protection but there is winter and then there is what I get.
I hacked mine back hard last spring and it never skipped a beat.
I don't collect or repot in the fall either for the same reasons.
Try not to be too angry Adair. I was posting what is acceptable for my climate. We don't prune landscape trees in winter either for fear of dieback.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine all get winter protection but there is winter and then there is what I get.
I hacked mine back hard last spring and it never skipped a beat.
I don't collect or repot in the fall either for the same reasons.
Try not to be too angry Adair. I was posting what is acceptable for my climate. We don't prune landscape trees in winter either for fear of dieback.

Interesting Mike...my purple plum...only is pruned dead of winter once dormant by a local arboror last winter...Odd isn't it!?! Though...I did get some die back last year. Hm-mm (first time it was actually pruned in winter professionally) never seen die back up until that point. Making me chew on your words...planted it back when my oldest was a baby...he's 18 yrs. old now. Though I'm told it has a short life span...I'm not telling it anytime soon.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I appreciate that OSO....science.!

@Adair M @motherfarkimgcanteverfigureoutfrarys @wireme. @wireme @Cadillactaste

My take on the branch dieback......especially with special concern for the video....

I just watched a thing on body language last night....but even before watching that....I could see Boon say without saying....

"This is a stupid concern, why the hell are you even asking this question, look here stupid American, get the roots out of SHIT soil and you won't get branch dieback."

Simple!

Watch the look on his face as, or around the time he talks about it....for that 5 seconds it's worth.

One thing professional education teaches one....is something we toss around here like it's maybe a good idea,

Get your Roots out of shitty soil!

Just my take!

And I'm right!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh....

I actually came here for a reason.....

It's all in my root talk thread.

Moon experiments.