Any Ficus (or indoor capable) that resembles a Japanese Red Maple?

Z06Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I know ficuses come in a wide range of shapes and colors so Im curious if there are any ficuses out there that represent my favorite tree, the Japanese red maple

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Resemble how? Foliage, trunk, form?

The short answer to your question is no-there are no ficus with leaves that resemble maples...ficus used for bonsai can be shaped into "maple" types of design forms, though.

Z06Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
more or less the color, gray trunk, red leaves.

It has to be the ultimate tree, in my opinion at least

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a group of trees that are called "musk maples," but you're not going to like a lot about them.

Do a Google search on "premna," musk maple." You will see that there are a confusing number of species noted. These are NOT maples, but Tthe temperate Chinese version--called premna microphylla--has a leaf shape similar to maples.. The other premna species are tropical. None are widely available as bonsai material.

Tropical premna require similar indoor care as ficus. Temperate climate species require a dormant period. None will provide red leaves. In fact, I don't know of any bonsai worthy tropical "indoor" species that has red leaves.

Musk maple have "musk" in their name for a reason. They tend to smell --BAD. I have a temperate premna. It is pretty darn smelly. Pruning makes it worse.

Top Bottom