Any Good Reading Material on Chojubai?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are there any good books, ebooks, articles, etc. on quince but more specifically chojubai and toyo nishiki quince?

I am looking for some info about General care and horticultural techniques. As in soil, cuttings, etc.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Last edited:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
http://crataegus.com/?s=chojubai

pretty much everything you need to know. International Bonsai 2013 vol 1 I believe, is also outstanding.

...and toyo nishiki are prettyclose to indestructible imho, as far as 'bonsai' goes.
Thanks for the link, I have found it before and it has great info. However it doesn't explain some of the other things I need to know like what soil mix they prefer, if they like to be on the dry/wet side, etc. It does say they like deep pots which I guess infers they like to be damp?

I will have to look for that issue. They are hard to come by without a huge price markup. Bill V. never disappoints or cuts corners so I am betting I will find some of the info I am looking for.

The reason I want this information is because I am purchasing one or two of these specimens from Brent and he is shipping then semi-bareroot for costs purposes. I would like to know if I should pot them in boons mix, his mix of perlite and pine bark, or something else. If I know their water requirements I can better suit the mix for them in my climate.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the link, I have found it before and it has great info. However it doesn't explain some of the other things I need to know like what soil mix they prefer, if they like to be on the dry/wet side, etc. It does say they like deep pots which I guess infers they like to be damp?

I will have to look for that issue. They are hard to come by without a huge price markup. Bill V. never disappoints or cuts corners so I am betting I will find some of the info I am looking for.

The reason I want this information is because I am purchasing one or two of these specimens from Brent and he is shipping then semi-bareroot for costs purposes. I would like to know if I should pot them in boons mix, his mix of perlite and pine bark, or something else. If I know their water requirements I can better suit the mix for them in my climate.

They LOVE water, but like all bonsai it still needs good drainage, so whatever you would normally use for the water hogs. Quickest way to piss them off is to let them go too long without water.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They LOVE water, but like all bonsai it still needs good drainage, so whatever you would normally use for the water hogs. Quickest way to piss them off is to let them go too long without water.
What do you personally keep them in?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
JoeR said:
What do you personally keep them in?
Depends on where they are at development wise. To grow any quince hard I use Brussels bonsai pre-mix, which is basically potting soil, pine bark, and some poor man's pumice (fired southern gumbo). Holds water like crazy, but all my quince love the stuff. If the tree is well developed I use akadama with a little pumice for aeration, which works well for me.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Depends on where they are at development wise. To grow any quince hard I use Brussels bonsai pre-mix, which is basically potting soil, pine bark, and some poor man's pumice (fired southern gumbo). Holds water like crazy, but all my quince love the stuff. If the tree is well developed I use akadama with a little pumice for aeration, which works well for me.
Thanks, that gives me a good idea of what to use.

Top Bottom