Any Hope for Bucida Spinosa (Spiny Black Olive)?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I adopted this Bucida Spinosa from PR back in June. Probably should have waited a while before repotting but I'm a moron and that's what us morons do, so sue me. After potting, it defoliated pretty quickly but then new small buds erupted very nicely right where you'd want them to be, But those buds failed. They turned black and dried up. Since then, nothing else has happened. The remaining leaves have stayed but no new growth. All branches scratch back to green cambium. The root system was very healthy, and might still be. The pot drains very well. Any thoughts on how I might save this?

IMG_2354.jpegIMG_2455.jpegIMG_2456.jpeg

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some tropical trees get mad and defoliate when you mess with them . I've had that happen with a few tropicals. Give it a little time and TLC and it should leaf out when its not mad at you for messing with it.
My 2 cents worth.

Fulan

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
When we newbies are told to “wait” how long should we keep trying to revive these things? One year? A season? Ten?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bucida Spinosa
^^^ is one of those plants that can go through an unexpected dormancy. It also does not like its roots messed with overly much.
If I have a plant that doesn't respond for 6 months it usually goes in the compost pile.
Do you know if your plant is alive? Are the stems / trunks shriveled or blackened?
Does it still have some leaves? If it does, it is likely still alive. My large one never looked great until this year when it was outside all summer.
Try to identify the live parts and cut back to those parts. Put it under a strong grow light for 12-14 hours a day. It is a bit late in the year to expect an outside revival in your climate.
Good luck. It is not an easy beginners plant.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you know if your plant is alive? Are the stems / trunks shriveled or blackened?
Does it still have some leaves? If it does, it is likely still alive.
It looks essentially like it did two months ago when the pics were taken, so I'm bringing it into an indoor grow tent and will do as you suggested re: the grow light. Stems still scratch back to green at the tips so there's some life there. I agree about not being a good beginners plant. I may have come close to pulling it off. Lessons learned: It may not have been thriving enough beforehand to easily survive the repot. Also, I know I didn't baby it enough afterwards and instead allowed the sun to burn the new buds. If it comes back, I'll drop an update here. Otherwise, consider it compost. Thanks

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks essentially like it did two months ago when the pics were taken, so I'm bringing it into an indoor grow tent and will do as you suggested re: the grow light. Stems still scratch back to green at the tips so there's some life there. I agree about not being a good beginners plant. I may have come close to pulling it off. Lessons learned: It may not have been thriving enough beforehand to easily survive the repot. Also, I know I didn't baby it enough afterwards and instead allowed the sun to burn the new buds. If it comes back, I'll drop an update here. Otherwise, consider it compost. Thanks
I think it is in an induced dormancy. Keep it warm and well light. Bottom heat wouldn't hurt.
Best of luck.

Top Bottom