• It’s dead.

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

Fulan

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I received this azalea bonsai through the mail as a gift during a 100+ heatwave. Since it is an outdoor plant I did not bring it inside to my air conditioned home. Was this a mistake?

The first time I went to check on it, all the beautiful green leaves were sticking straight up. Never seen anything like it.

The next day, half the plant had turned dry and brown. Did the poor thing just bake in the heat? It was in the shade, but so hot...

The pictures are one week apart. There were a few green leaves at first so I thought there was a chance. But now those are all gone, and the hope I was clinging to with them...

Attachments

• 14725C9C-B24D-4842-8ACC-66C77DC65404.jpeg
    14725C9C-B24D-4842-8ACC-66C77DC65404.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 373D5F67-2789-4775-9366-414A6C28D47C.jpeg
    373D5F67-2789-4775-9366-414A6C28D47C.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 90

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't say what did it in, but it is a goner. In my experience it is difficult to revive an azalea when its on its way out.
Sorry.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Bummer :( Was it in the mail a long time? I've had azaleas shipped and they have never arrived in such a dire condition.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I received this azalea bonsai through the mail as a gift during a 100+ heatwave. Since it is an outdoor plant I did not bring it inside to my air conditioned home. Was this a mistake?

The first time I went to check on it, all the beautiful green leaves were sticking straight up. Never seen anything like it.

The next day, half the plant had turned dry and brown. Did the poor thing just bake in the heat? It was in the shade, but so hot...

The pictures are one week apart. There were a few green leaves at first so I thought there was a chance. But now those are all gone, and the hope I was clinging to with them...

Leaving it outside wasn't mistake, nor was putting it in the shade. You didn't mention where you are located bit in that kind of heat trees may need to be watered twice a day or more depending on the soil they are in.

I keep my azaleas in partial shade and water them twice a day when it gets above 90.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
My guess is operator error. Trees in small pots need lost of water. They need more water in hot conditions. Azaleas usually need even more water than many other species. My azaleas get a good soaking twice a day through summer.
Azaleas can be even harder to water properly as they quickly fill the pots with very fine roots making it difficult for water to penetrate easily.

I would not be as quick as the others to condemn your tree. True that azaleas do die easily and not as tough as some other species but I have seen some recover from loss of leaves. It all depends how long it has been dry and how dry. I always continue care for at least 3 months for trees that have lost leaves. Sometimes miracles do happen.

Fulan

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thank you for all your advice everyone.

I am in a very hot climate, Zone 9b. It was exceptionally hot when I got the plant with temperatures over 120 in certain spots of the yard but around 100 out of direct sun. I don’t think I put it in a good spot either because there was no airflow there.

I did water and mist it 2x per day but I agree that I didn’t soak the roots enough. The soil never really dried out completely and that confused me.

It was so beautiful with a little pink bud on top, I’m sorry I killed it. I really envy those of you with intuition about plants because I seem to have none!

My boyfriend (who got me the azalea) and I have decided to wait on getting another one until he can supervise its care, as he has more gardening know-how and I feel too terrible to possibly kill another one just yet. We also talked about buying one locally next time, as it would be more used to the climate.

I always continue care for at least 3 months for trees that have lost leaves. Sometimes miracles do happen.

He liked this advice, but the poll is unanimous.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks pretty dead. It might bud back somewhere. But even if it does, what value does it have?

I have seen so many azaleas recently, just like this one. In a shallow pot, planted in gravel, roots somewhat exposed to very exposed, trunk completely straight. Most of them seem to be Belgian indica rather than satsuki azalea.
And they all seem to die pretty quickly after they are bought.

Why don't they sell actually satsuki? Put it in a deeper pot? Cover the roots with plenty of kanuma or even potting soil? And put some movement in the trunk at some point?
I guess this makes them money already.

I would say hot weather and not root rot. I wonder how they produce these. Do they grow an azalea, then sow of 70% of the roots, put it in that pot and then just ship it to costumers?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Posted in wrong thread because I hit the link to this one by accident

Last edited:

sat.suki

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm sorry for the confusion @sat.suki
We don't mean any harm, honestly.
Anyone with an interest in little trees in pots is welcome here.

Please do let us know if your azalea recovers.

Please understand that some may not see this thread and won't remember your desire to not share your location information.
Once more people get to know you, they will remember.

I love your avatar by the way. It's very cute.
I don't mind man. I'm annoyed only because I had to explain like 5 times, I know they didn't mean home adress and I never said, really, I won't be sharing my home address. This guy comes along and says "we don't want your home adress" and then everybody starts to explain why they need location and not my home address for like 7 times. People other than the guy who commented home address. So now In explaining to several people that I did not misunderstand anything, it's just this one guy saying stuff about home adressess.

The information I provided was enough for some people and that was enough to get useful tips. I get why location is needed, but I won't share, and I never wanted this to be a huge fight or something. When I don't share my location people usually don't assume it's because I don't understand. They respect my decision & move on because ultimately it doesn't affect them. Inwas expecting that to happen.

Thanks for understanding and being welcoming even though this happened. And thanks for the compliment, it's a drawing I made a couple years back! :)

Top Bottom