Any idea what cultivar might this be?

Mailo06

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi to all, just bought a new acer, was wondering what cultivar this might be. Tiny leaves ,smaller than kiyohime, new groth look green. Also what might be the best course of action to turn it into a bonsai as it is a bit leggy

Attachments

• received_1434084130373664.jpeg
    received_1434084130373664.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 173
  • received_754102369104316.jpeg
    received_754102369104316.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 165
  • received_468188591807809.jpeg
    received_468188591807809.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 152
  • received_375462774571407.jpeg
    received_375462774571407.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 148
  • received_326031146403675.jpeg
    received_326031146403675.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 165

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure of the cultivar, there are several with tiny leaves. Perhaps someone else will have some idea.
More importantly, I feel like you should just baby it along this year and get it as healthy as you can. Begin training next year. It has promise, so don't rush things.

Mailo06

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure of the cultivar, there are several with tiny leaves. Perhaps someone else will have some idea.
More importantly, I feel like you should just baby it along this year and get it as healthy as you can. Begin training next year. It has promise, so don't rush things.
That was the plan, the old lady i got it from sayed i was not repoted for very long time.(she also sayed it should be around 20 y old) Next year this will be the first thing to do

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
G's up....

Toes down!

I'd ditch the thick trunks but the internodes on the other are kinda stretched so the resulting backbudding should be utilized .

Less you feel like grafting.

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you don't know the provenance, it's just a good 'ole green Japanese maple.

I don't want to be dismissive, because many green Japanese maples look every bit as good as named cultivars. A guy that I know has truly 100's of Japanese maples in his landscape, and his favorite one is a seedling that he randomly found in his yard. He liked the appearance, grew it, and planted it in his front yard. Now he likes to climb into the branches and read books while laying in the tree :)

Ninecloud

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
my money is on tama hime, if the most of the leaves are consistent with the size of a dime

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is only a guess but, It looks likes my sharps pygmy (had don't have). Obviously it could be one of many cultivars but "sharp's" is a fairly common one and it's a pretty good guess if I can say so myself. Fall color will be another subtle clue too

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Hm looked a bit on google, so for now Tama hime might be the one.
Might be but also might not. So many cultivars that look similar. Making guesses is not going to solve the problem.
Please see above from @Bonsai Nut Any JM without authentic provenance cannot be assigned a name. It becomes just Japanese maple but the bard once wrote that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Having a name for this cv won't make it a better bonsai so what's the point in making guesses?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Might be but also might not. So many cultivars that look similar. Making guesses is not going to solve the problem.
Please see above from @Bonsai Nut Any JM without authentic provenance cannot be assigned a name. It becomes just Japanese maple but the bard once wrote that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Having a name for this cv won't make it a better bonsai so what's the point in making guesses?
Looks like gold... so I'm going to call it gold :)

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hmmmm trying to remember when my lions mane first broke out in leaf if they where curled straight away hmnnn don’t remembe, got any pics now mate 🤔
It does raise the question... I only buy Japanese maples from regular nurseries if they are tagged with the cultivar (with a nursery tag). There have been plenty of times when I have seen plants mixed up in an area where plants of one cultivar are mixed with another. Worse, I was at a nursery last weekend where the nursery was selling generic green Japanese maples in one row, next to a green maple cultivar in the next row, and some of the tags had fallen off. Which was which? The green maples were $8, the cultivars were $50. Perhaps some nefarious people removed the tags to try to buy a $50 plant for $8, but there was also a risk you might end up paying $50 for an $8 tree :)

That's why with my young stock I always keep the tags in addition to photographing every tree as it comes in to my nursery. My memory just isn't as flawless as it used to be... particularly with tons of trees across decades. And if we are talking Japanese maples... there are hundreds of cultivars. Perhaps fewer than 50 are regularly seen in the retail trade. Are people truly going to try to "guess" which cultivar they have out of 1,000 based on appearance... particularly given how much the appearance of a tree can change based on environment, conditions, season, etc? And when there is a chance it may not be a named cultivar at all?

Far better to just say "this is pretty maple #1". I have seen some amazing Japanese maple bonsai on display that are simply tagged "A. palmatum". If it is nice enough, people will start to refer to it as "X's Japanese Maple" and will want cuttings from it... even if it is not a known cultivar :)

Last edited:

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
It does raise the question... I only buy Japanese maples from regular nurseries if they are tagged with the cultivar (with a nursery tag). There have been plenty of times when I have seen plants mixed up in an area where plants of one cultivar are mixed with another. Worse, I was at a nursery last weekend where the nursery was selling generic green Japanese maples in one row, next to a green maple cultivar in the next row, and some of the tags had fallen off. Which was which? The green maples were $8, the cultivars were $50. Perhaps some nefarious people removed the tags to try to buy a $50 plant for $8, but there was also a risk you might end up paying $50 for an $8 tree :)

That's why with my young stock I always keep the tags in addition to photographing every tree as it comes in to my nursery. My memory just isn't as flawless as it used to be... particularly with tons of trees across decades. And if we are talking Japanese maples... there are hundreds of cultivars. Perhaps fewer than 50 are regularly seen in the retail trade. Are people truly going to try to "guess" which cultivar they have out of 1,000 based on appearance... particularly given how much the appearance of a tree can change based on environment, conditions, season, etc? And when there is a chance it may not be a named cultivar at all?

Far better to just say "this is pretty maple #1". I have seen some amazing Japanese maple bonsai on display that are simply tagged "A. palmatum"
I definitely think your right , I have about 20 ish maples , some I know others I have not researched yet lol , sometimes it nice having a guess as they mature , my lace leaf are the ones I made sure how to care for before placing them , one trident I might buy from bonsai seller on island has very waxy leaves and colour like ivy , but he says it a trident 🤔 , think I might take a couple of deshojo I sold to him some years ago 🤔 decisions decisions lol

Ninecloud

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hm looked a bit on google, so for now Tama hime might be the one.
Im hoping to get one soon, got most of the other dwarves I want, including sharps pygmy, kiyohime, etc. Tama hime are known for really really small leaves. Based on those pictures, it looks like what I've been looking for. Even if it's not, those small leaves ed are definitely a awesome desired trait to have on bonsai. I would call it Acer unknown if I ever show it but that's no big deal, I've never shown or fully developed one yet anyway.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It gets even worse when someone guesses a name then gives out cuttings or layers. One of those falls into the hands of another propagator and pretty soon we have different strains being sold legitimately under the same name, fancy labels and all.
Van Gelderens, in Maples for Gardens, note that this has happened with some of the older cultivars so A. palmatum 'Atropurpureum' now comes in a variety of different forms thanks to seedlings being passed off as the original as well as mislabelling and, A. palmatum 'dissectum Ornatum' appears to be sold under several different cv names.
The whole cultivar naming system has got so out of hand now that nobody can be certain how legitimate the labels are except for the cultivars that can't possibly be mistaken for any others.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just go to eBay right now and search "Japanese Maple seedling". Half are scams...

FOUR Japanese Maple Seedlings 1 to 2 inches Ornamental Tree Sango kaku
Coral Bark Japanese Maple Trees
You will receive FOUR Coral Bark Japanese Maple seedlings.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s funny. When the first groups of Kurume Azaleas were imported into the US in the 1920ish years, folks decided to change their names for more appeal to the general population.

For a really odd example Kazan became Rukizon. Some were easier to fathom. Kirin became Coral Bells. In fact some of these new names were changed later… giving folks who care about accurate cultivar names endless year of frustration…. and maybe the name changing folks endless hours of secret enjoyment?

cheers
DSD sends

Mailo06

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New growth might give some more info about the cultivar. As i fed it really well the leafes a a bit bigger.

Attachments

• 20220728_182933.jpg
    20220728_182933.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220728_182927.jpg
    20220728_182927.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220728_182923.jpg
    20220728_182923.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220728_182920.jpg
    20220728_182920.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 65

Ninecloud

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unfortunately, a lot of hime can look like this, but at least it brings my guess closer, its either Tama Hime, murasaki kiyohime or kiyohime, and all of those dwarves are awesome.

Top Bottom