Any idea what this is?

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi saw this in a field I walk. Any idea what it may be?

Attachments

• Unknown1.jpg
    Unknown1.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Unkown2.jpg
    Unkown2.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 100

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
Sorry I thought they were close up .... didnt have my glasses with me. If these dont work I ll try and take one next time I am down there, probably tomorrow.

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
was thinking of digging it up but with my luck its a weed!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks like either a young sycamore maple, mullberry maybe ,or some sort of sweetgum to my eyes.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like Amur Maple to me. Acer ginnala is known to escape. It's hard to believe that you could take that many pictures of leaves and not get one good shot of one leaf in an attitude to actually see the leaf. Go put a hair shirt on and begin self flagellation. Go back and did it up. Look for more of all sizes.

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
Looks like Amur Maple to me. Acer ginnala is known to escape. It's hard to believe that you could take that many pictures of leaves and not get one good shot of one leaf in an attitude to actually see the leaf. Go put a hair shirt on and begin self flagellation. Go back and did it up. Look for more of all sizes.
LOL I know right! I took two thinking they were clear and unclose and NOPE LOL neither were. There are a bunch of these out there. Didnt want to start digging till I knew what it was.

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
Ok so thing seems pretty invasive if its an Amur Maple.
Amur maple (Not recommended)
Leaves of Amur maple.

Amur maple has invasive traits that enable it to spread aggressively. This tree is under observation and may be listed on official invasive species lists in the near future. Review of risks should be undertaken before selecting this tree for planting sites. One tree can produce more than 5,000 two-winged seeds that are widely spread by wind. In open woods, Amur maple displaces native shrubs and understory trees. In prairies and open fields, it can shade out native species of plants, disrupting the ecosystems that plants and animals depend on.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
LOL I know right! I took two thinking they were clear and unclose and NOPE LOL neither were. There are a bunch of these out there. Didnt want to start digging till I knew what it was.
Make a forest or two. Pot up the rest and trade them to your cohorts. Invasive is just another word for easy to grow.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every plant mentioned occurred to me but it is pointless to keep guessing without a decent picture. Come back when you have one.

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks Guys.... definitely going back to get another picture. Looking at the little bit I can see in these, Im thinking it may be a Silver Maple too like just wing it said. Ill get a better picture for everyone in the next couple days. Thanks for the help.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Has anyone guessed Pine or Magnolia yet? 😜

Top Bottom