Any idea what this is?

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
I had a neighbor tell me they had a few trees the last neighbor had planted that they didn’t want. So obviously I took it but don’t know what it is. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 8C63BF1C-D6BF-48F2-8C5E-D50E34FDEA77.jpeg
    8C63BF1C-D6BF-48F2-8C5E-D50E34FDEA77.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 58
  • 8067CAD0-E506-4302-AA64-A1F0C805A540.jpeg
    8067CAD0-E506-4302-AA64-A1F0C805A540.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 53

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That would most likely be a species or hybrid of genus Taxus, otherwise known as Yew.

There are several species of yew belonging to the genus Taxus. The landscape industry has created a number of hybrids. Unless you can find the original label from the nursery, just refer to it as a yew, or a Taxus. They propagate from cuttings, they air layer well, and they make pretty decent bonsai.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Definite Yew... From what I’ve experienced, they are all, MOSTLY pretty decent... the cultivar “Hicksii” or “Hick’s Yew” is the slowest growing species variation I have ever worked with.. with a genetic tendency towards VERTICAL...

This is definitely NOT that..

So Yew are in the clear.

🤓

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great find! Don't cut the top out as yew'll want to increase the girth of the trunk.
On larger material there's been many a tool broken using undersized tools to cut through.
Very hard heart wood with age. I personally would instal a branch bender on the lowest
portion of the trunk this Fall and increase the bend a couple times a week.
I did this with a sort of high graft JWP about 3 wks ago and it's coming along great
using #10 or 8 copper wire above that for the more pliable wood. Pouring right now
or I'd post a pic of it as example.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_6056.JPG DSC_6055.JPG
The graft makes bending this trunk all the more dangerous but it is safe being right above the upper red handle.
It's actually in the Botton 1" of the wire here in the 2nd pic.
Knowing how hard yew is, I'd be afraid of snapping the lower trunk with just a wiring effort.

Top Bottom