Any idea what this Tree is?

dahender

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I picked this up at a local wholesale nursery that was going out of business, as it had some nice cascading characteristics.

The remaining skeleton crew at the nursery had no idea what it was.
Can any of you identify this ?

2013-01-03 16.20.07.jpg2013-01-03 16.20.10.jpg2013-01-03 16.20.20.jpg2013-01-03 16.40.41.jpg2013-01-03 16.40.53.jpg

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Can't really tell but whatever it is it's not very healthy. So before anything I'd id it and get it back to good health. Good luck with the id.

dahender

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can't really tell but whatever it is it's not very healthy. So before anything I'd id it and get it back to good health. Good luck with the id.

Thanks for the quick response Bob. It was basically free and i agree: getting it healthy was my first priority. It has tough pointy leaves almost like podocarpus, but they are short (3/4-1 inch)

Hoping someone can identify it so it has a better chance of surviving.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
It's funny that before I read your second comment I was going to tell you I'm pretty certain it's a very weak podocarpus

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It could be rosemary too, it has leaves similar to those and the branches look the same too. If you rub the leaves lightly and a very aromatic smell gets on your hands its rosemary, if not it you can rule that out.

ed

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
G. questionmarkus

Id say grevillea

evergreen shrub with needle like foliage, many are from Australia.

this one is common:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grevillea_rosmarinifolia

this is the species page man theres a lot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grevillea

btw, is there a more acceptable or well vetted source for referencing plants online than wikipedia???

it has been good on plants usually.... but anyone have better sources?

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi

I want to suggest some type of Melaleuca, but it's probably better to get it healthy first and try again

Cheers
Gerhard

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To me, it looks like a very unhealthy deodara cedar. Putting your general location in your profile could give us some clues to better help you with this and other questions/advice in the future.

dahender

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
To me, it looks like a very unhealthy deodara cedar. Putting your general location in your profile could give us some clues to better help you with this and other questions/advice in the future.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm in Northern CA in Livermore. We're zone 8b i believe.

This tree is totally weeping over (it's only about 6 inches high) Tough to determine if it could be a deodar but will read into it.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
My first impression ws rosemary, but if the leaves are stiffish, it's not. Bottlebush?

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Im willing to wager $100 that its podocarpus now that I looked at in on my computer screen

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Upon further review, I'd like to change my guess to you. I mean ewe. No, still wrong, Yew.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Im willing to wager $100 that its podocarpus now that I looked at in on my computer screen

I'm tempted to take you up on that, as it doesn't look like a podocarpus that I've seen. Its apparent unhealthiness makes me unsure though. It could be that it just doesn't look right because it's really struggling.

Bottlebrush leaves aren't stiff at all, in my experience.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
i'm willing to accept the bet from as many people who dare to bet me. $100 each :) ok maybe a maximum of 5. Never mind looked at the photo again as many takers as there are Ill take the bet.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i'm willing to accept the bet from as many people who dare to bet me. $100 each :) ok maybe a maximum of 5

do you have a specific species name you think it is?

If I were less responsible Id definitely take you up. Its a grevillea:)

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
do you have a specific species name you think it is?

If I were less responsible Id definitely take you up. Its a grevillea:)

Macrophyllus. Wager something else if you're not willing to take the $100.00 bet :). Wager a tree, a pot anything.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Macrophyllus. Wager something else if you're not willing to take the $100.00 bet :). Wager a tree, a pot anything.

You willing to pay the gas for a trip up north if it's not a podacarpus as well? if so I'll take that bet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom