Any idea whats wrong with this pitch pine?

Cloudsgrow

Sapling
Reaction score
Transplanted this pitchpine early last spring, its in a good bonsai soil mix, pine bark was the only organic additive i used. I didn't bare root it, disturbed the roots as little as possible. Im in upstate NY. This pine has been doing great until the past month.. even pushed out a bunch of new growth after the transplant. Some of the branches are biting the dust now but whats really concerning me is that all the needles are getting small yellow dots. I absolutely love this guy and I'd be ashamed if he didnt make it.

Attachments

• 15814530329638189797738891980767.jpg
    15814530329638189797738891980767.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 15814535636336377830451027423757.jpg
    15814535636336377830451027423757.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 176

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Possibly too much bending and rebending of branches when you restyled it. Branch specific problems usually have branch specific causes. Roots problems tend to be global problems.

Yellow dots could be the beginnings of needle cast - dunno.

Cloudsgrow

Sapling
Reaction score
Probably that ugly pot. Safest bet is to send the pot to me. I have a tree that would help that pot alot.
😂 yeah its hard to find a nice bonsai ppt that shape and size that i can afford. Thanks for the help though man.

Cloudsgrow

Sapling
Reaction score
Possibly too much bending and rebending of branches when you restyled it. Branch specific problems usually have branch specific causes. Roots problems tend to be global problems.

Yellow dots could be the beginnings of needle cast - dunno.
Appreciate the feedback, the spotting is universal but ill try cutting off all the wire just incase.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you repot and rewire at the same time?

Cloudsgrow

Sapling
Reaction score
Did you repot and rewire at the same time?
Nope, i wired about 8 months after the transplant after i saw how rigorously it was growing. If hadnt thrown off all that new growth i wouldn't have wired it at all. Thanks for the question, appreciate the help figuring this out.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nope, i wired about 8 months after the transplant after i saw how rigorously it was growing. If hadnt thrown off all that new growth i wouldn't have wired it at all. Thanks for the question, appreciate the help figuring this out.
Most welcome. Are the needles soft? I mean as in flimsy feeling?
Sometimes Redpines althought not sure of this species go sulky when they get too much water especially in autumn and spring.
Has the trees decline stopped? Or do you feel it is continuing? I'm not feeling too crash hot about the needle colouration

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If that was growth AFTER spring repot, it seems to not have had enough foliage during the transplant, which, was probly too early in the season, if not the wrong season all together.

I wouldn't cut any wire off cuz as long as your not banging it around with it on, removing it in any fashion will only add to the decline.

Seems that growth was not healthy growth, but last ditch effort growth, and this, the most wonderful of all winters is killing it, what with it's wonderful deep cold and unconfusing weather for these trees...
(Sarcasm)
This winter f@(king sucks balls!

Of anything, maybe try the old....wore the tips up trick, but carefully.

Or even tilt the pot of it makes sense, better than fidgeting with the branches again, to get the tips pointed to the sky, this is supposed to help.

Sorce

Cloudsgrow

Sapling
Reaction score
Most welcome. Are the needles soft? I mean as in flimsy feeling?
Sometimes Redpines althought not sure of this species go sulky when they get too much water especially in autumn and spring.
Has the trees decline stopped? Or do you feel it is continuing? I'm not feeling too crash hot about the needle colouration
The needle rigidity is relatively normal from what i can tell, and the soil is still draining very well. I can see its still declining which has me really worried I'm gonna lose it hence my being on here reaching out to you guys.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The needle rigidity is relatively normal from what i can tell, and the soil is still draining very well. I can see its still declining which has me really worried I'm gonna lose it hence my being on here reaching out to you guys.
Can you do me a favour. From the pic I can see there are already some dead branches. Can you get some clear close ups of live and dead foliage?
It may be that the tree was weak and that a fungus took advantage of that/ Or something went wrong in the repot

Cloudsgrow

Sapling
Reaction score
If that was growth AFTER spring repot, it seems to not have had enough foliage during the transplant, which, was probly too early in the season, if not the wrong season all together.

I wouldn't cut any wire off cuz as long as your not banging it around with it on, removing it in any fashion will only add to the decline.

Seems that growth was not healthy growth, but last ditch effort growth, and this, the most wonderful of all winters is killing it, what with it's wonderful deep cold and unconfusing weather for these trees...
(Sarcasm)
This winter f@(king sucks balls!

Of anything, maybe try the old....wore the tips up trick, but carefully.

Or even tilt the pot of it makes sense, better than fidgeting with the branches again, to get the tips pointed to the sky, this is supposed to help.

Sorce

I did the transplant in March just as buds were starting to come out in that area. Only about 10-15% of that exising growth is new growth so it had a decent amount of foliage to begin with. Im not familiar with woreing the tips up, what does that incur? I dont have as much experience with pines.. and your not kidding about this winter.. part of me was wondering if i should have done more to protect the roots even though pitch pines like this usually grow on tall cliffs with their roots exposed. I appreciate the feedback, ill definitely try tilting the pot

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ill get some good pics of the variance in foliage tomorrow when the sun comes back up, thanks a lot for trying to help menfigure out whats going on with this poor guy.
No problem always glad to help if I can

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personal instinct suspects fungus infection. Suggest copper or Daconil spray ;)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There are some trees, not that I know anything about Red Pines, that you can't turn the foliage upside down or the foliage will die. Did you do much of this? Especially with reference to the tips that are doing the poorest? If sunny side up OK and sunny side down sick...

Top Bottom